Is there life after Pittsburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help..we have to be in Pittsburgh in May for a big family shindig. We are from the west coast and are casting about for something to tag onto this event for a vacation. Other family events have been in DC(We hit the eastern shore of Maryland) and Westchester,NY(we hit Ct,Boston and the Cape). We thought about Montreal but that seems too far. Any ideas or suggestions of where we might goin the vicinity? Philly seems like an idea and perhaps Lancaster but any other thoughts?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:25 AM

Pam, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Pittsburgh. I know I was when I first visited for a conference a few years ago. The city is nice, clean and in many ways picturesque. We really liked the area around the universities as well as the view from across the river. And the Warhol Museum is fun, too.

As for day trips, why not drive over to Cleveland for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum? It's not that far!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:48 AM

Are "we" a couple or a family? I agree with John you will likely be pleasantly surprised by Pittsburgh. Visit Station Square and take a ride on the incline for the great view of the city.

A dinner cruise on the river, or the Goodship Lollipop if you have kiddies (if it is still sailing, I haven't lived in the burgh for 20+ years).
Catch a Pirates baseball game and/or a performance at Heinz Hall.

In May, Kennywood is open!

In the Oakland area, around the universities, visit the Carnegie Museum and Phipps Conservatory.

Montreal would be too far, but Niagara Falls would be reachable with a one or two night stay. I shall make no comment on Cleveland.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:13 AM

Pam:

You seem to be too snobby for your own good. Pittsburgh is a very nice city (I live 20 miles west of it) with some great parks about 50 miles east and north of it (Moraine to the north, Ohiopyle to the South). Kennywood is a charming amusement park that has a turn of century appeal when you are walking around. This city is also known for its Carnegie Museums and Library which are found in the University area. There is plenty of International restaurants in this area one can try too. Also Pirate baseball may be in town in May, and there is an old-fashioned ballpark made for this sport at PNC Park. There are also many Gateway Clipper ships, including the Goodship Lollipop, where you can float along the rivers or even take a longer journey down the Ohio to the Wheeling area. About 70 miles west of Pittsburgh is the Fiestaware factory in Newell, WV and during the week there are tours of this factory. Yes there is life beyond major overcrowded NE cities and you'll be surprised when you visit Pittsburgh. Note: Lancaster is 5 1/2 hour drive east, Philly 6 1/2.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:51 AM

I Love Pittsburg!

Why not head a bit south to the Farmington area in the Laurel Highlands? You can visit Frank Lloyd Wright's, "Fallingwater." There is a historic hotel called the Summit Inn that is quite large, olymipc-sized pool and indoor pool, and some great restaurants in the area. Another traveler once suggested a nice up-scale hotel in this same area too, perhaps with a spa if I remember correctly (do a text search). Perhaps it is the "Big Family Shindig" you are dreading more than Pittsburg itself? lol

Happy Trails,
Paul
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:25 AM

I've given a lot of thought to your question and can only reply that, no, there's not much to do or see in Pittsburgh. The airport is new, though, and you can see down the streets now that the steel industry has gone under.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Agree with the above poster about Niagra Falls. Niagra on the Lake is also an adorable little village. Can't remember if the Shaw festival runs that early in the year, but its worth checking out if you like theater. http://www.shawfest.com/about/about.html

Also, keep and open mind about Pittsburgh. You'll be surprised!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM

You will find several days worth of things to do in Pittsburgh and you've been given some nice side trip ideas. To add to the list, you might try an overnight trip to Erie, Pa to visit Presque Isle,a lovely Lake Erie beach. that would be about 2 hours away. If you want to drive further, Niagara Falls would be about 4-41/2 hours away, and Toronto about another 1- 1 1/2 hours away. There are tons of things to do in Niagara Falls and toronto. there is also a beautiful town between them (much closer to NF) called Niagara on the Lake which is on Lake Ontario and hosts the Shaw Festival Theatre every summer. The town is full of shops, restaruants, hotels, inns, etc and is very picturesque. The Theatre is actually several stages producing a variety of plays all summer long, all written in the era of writer George Bernard Shaw.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:09 AM

We recently did a weekend in Pittsburgh, our first visit. We stayed at the Renaissance along the river across from one of the bridges. Great views of the river, nice area to walk along. Across the bridge was the Warhol museum, excellent! Everyone enjoyed it. We went a hockey game, but I would love to go back for a baseball game, beautiful stadium right on the river.
http://www.warhol.org/

We drove about 60 minutes to do the extended tour of the Kaufman home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, Falling Water. Amazing, if you enjoy any form of architecture, this is a must see. He concepts are incredible and well worth a visit. Advanced reservations are required for the extended tour.
http://www.wpconline.org/fallingwaterhome.htm

Try the inclines at night for great views.
http://trfn.clpgh.org/incline/

Definitely visit Primanti Brothers open 24x7 for great sandwiches. Go Saturday there is lots going on that area of the restaurant.
http://www.primantibros.com/
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to most posts for suggestions. My question actually was about things/places to tag on to make this a vacation. As noted we have had to be in other cities for big family events and have explored the region around each city. This was not about slurring Pittsburgh. To answer the other question "we" is a couple in our 50's.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:25 AM

I'm a sucker for the Chatauqua Institute in New York state. It's not far over the border from PA, and I think it's about a 3-4 hour drive from Pittsburgh. It's a summer artist colony on a lake, and it's just a great place to spend a few days if you're into all things cultural. I'm sure a quick search would bring you to their website.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:33 AM

WV has some of the best white water rafting in the US, and that wouldn't be a far drive from pitt.