Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is there enough to do in Savannah for 3 days vacation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-there-enough-to-do-in-savannah-for-3-days-vacation-252199/)

luke Aug 22nd, 2002 06:03 PM

Is there enough to do in Savannah for 3 days vacation?

I am interested in either going to New Orleans or Savannah for 3-4 days. I know what New Orleand has to offer, but what about Savannah?

cece Aug 22nd, 2002 08:27 PM

Most of Savannah is a very impoverished area. There is one area where the tourists go. In that area are cemeteries, historical buildings and a museum.<BR><BR>I would suggest either going to New Orleans or Charleston. In Charleston, there are good restaurants, plantations, an audobon swamp w/ real gators, etc.

jt Aug 22nd, 2002 11:58 PM

It's a quiet, but very tasteful destination. Has about 20 parklike squares which should be each visited on foot (one long day or two if you mix in other town sites). One day go to the beach at Tybee Island and the civil war fort on the way. Another day could be a bus tour to some of the fringe areas. Eat at Lady and Sons (join the line going down the sidewalk for their great buffet).

Linda Aug 23rd, 2002 12:47 AM

Last year we did a Savannah & Charleston trip and we MUCH preferred Savannah. The lazy, grassy squares every few blocks makes just meandering around the beautiful old homes and sheer delight. If you love architecture, there are wonderful walking or horse/buggy tours and trolley tours. The French Quarter is beautiful. No, it's not nearly as big as Charleston, and certainly there isn't as much to do, but it's beautiful. The waterfront isn't nearly as nice as Charleston's, where in the later you'll find great shopping and wonderful restaurants. Savannah has a small City Market with shops very reminiscent of the market in Burlington, Vermont. 4 days might be alittle long in Savannah, but we didn't have a car, so it limited our obtions. If I could return to one or the other, I'd return to Savannah.

Rick Aug 23rd, 2002 04:29 AM

Savannah is a pleasant one day trip...that's enough time to get a flavor of the beautiful squares, architecture and unique ambiance. But that's it! Charleston, on the other hand, is a real treasure, loaded with history, architecture, nearby plantations and gardens, great dining...and on and on. Go to Charleston, its only a short drive from Savannah.

max Aug 23rd, 2002 08:59 PM

Savannah is pleasant for several nights but Charleston is more interesting and has fabuluous restaurants. If you go to Savannah, you could combine it with several days in Hilton Head. If you do Charleston, you can combine it with two nights on Kiawah Island, which is very pretty.<BR>But New Orleans is the most exciting of the three.

Lani Aug 23rd, 2002 09:54 PM

Three days is not too long for a trip to Savannah. I would eat at Lady & Son's everyday, then you'll need to go back to your hotel and rest!!! That will take about 3 hours per day! :o)lol<BR><BR>It's charming, friendly, with historic sites to enjoy, and it's DIFFERENT...........don't let anyone tell you otherwise. What I love to do is combine Charleston & Savannah......4/3 respectively. Hope you'll go check out this great old Southern city for yourself!