Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is there anything really special about the Kittery Outlet Mall? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-there-anything-really-special-about-the-kittery-outlet-mall-695616/)

missypie Apr 10th, 2007 11:19 AM

Is there anything really special about the Kittery Outlet Mall?

Whenever I read about southern Maine, the Kittery Outlet Mall is mentioned as something to do. I looked at their web site, and the stores seem similar to those at the outlets in San Marcos, Texas. Other than something to do on a rainy day, is there anything special about the Kittery Outlet Mall?

yk Apr 10th, 2007 11:30 AM

It's been a long time since I last went there, but I don't think you're missing much by skipping it. It's just another outlet mall. It does have a nice Bass store and a Ben & Jerry's Icecream store. :-)

ah4sail Apr 10th, 2007 11:35 AM

No, nothing special. There is more than one outlet mall along the road (is it Rt 1??), but other than killing a bad weather day, nothing different than you'd find other places.

cigalechanta Apr 10th, 2007 11:45 AM

In the beginning there were shops like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren where I could buy the most fabulous clothes because the Samples went there. They may have decided to let this model go because they changed the collar or pockets. The clothes were the top expensive lines. But nearby if the Lobster pond of Chauncy Creek. You go down a ramp and from the tank pick your lobster. You can bring your own wine or beer and whatever they don't sell.

Pugsly Apr 10th, 2007 12:16 PM

We went there to kill a bad weather day and no, nothing special other than the tons of French Canadians.

Rumrita1 Apr 10th, 2007 12:23 PM

Nothing special, and from my point of view a good place to avoid on a rainy day. That's when it'll be most crowded and Route 1 traffic will be backed up with everyone else who got in the car looking for something to do.

wyatt92 Apr 10th, 2007 12:50 PM

Nope, nothing special. Although if you like fried clams, Bob's Clam Hut is the best for clam rolls, lobster rolls, etc.

janiekins Apr 10th, 2007 01:53 PM

Nothing special at all. Do not waste your time!!!

joesorce Apr 10th, 2007 02:14 PM

Head down to Brown's Ice Cream in York Harbor instead. "Indian Pudding Ice Cream", now THAT'S something special!

jenandstephen Apr 10th, 2007 02:29 PM

Absolutely nothing special. Much better outlet stores in Texas and in Vegas.

missypie Apr 10th, 2007 02:40 PM

I just love all the great FOOD recommendations I'm getting.

thurstonbb Apr 11th, 2007 04:26 AM

I always go to the Crate & Barrel store which is at the north part of the outlets stores. Other than that, I am not a real shopper so doesn't hold much interest for me. I do take out from the Weathervane sometimes as we have a place not far away so need to get out seafood fill while there. We actually live in FL. Brown's isn't open much, just the summer months. It seems less and less each year, but the ice cream is fantastic!

Anonymous Apr 11th, 2007 04:59 AM

One thing that is particularly un-special about Maine outlets in general is that Maine has a 5% sales tax (which IIRC even includes clothing) but next-door New Hampshire has none.

bennnie Apr 11th, 2007 05:07 AM

I shop there frequently but I live somewhat locally - its about a 35 minute drive for me and as close to me as some of the malls in Mass. There is sales tax on clothing in Maine whereas in NH or Mass there isn't, so any bargains on clothes you find will be more costly than the sale price. But I have found some good bargains there - the aforementioned Crate and Barrel store, a Coach outlet, adorable children's clothing at Heartstrings. The Bose outlet sells factory reconditioned product and its usually a good deal. We bought two Bose Ipod stations there and saved $80 on each.

But overall its comparable to any other "outlet" shopping area.

carolsc Apr 18th, 2007 10:40 AM

No, but the Kittery Trading Post may be worth a visit.

jbass Apr 18th, 2007 12:18 PM

The "special" thing about the Kittery Outlet Mall is that it is in MAINE! I love Maine. ((H))

escargot Apr 18th, 2007 01:04 PM

I agree the 'mall' is nothing special - some people get a kick out of the Trading Post and my husband also loves the clam hut; as far as outlets in general, it's a moderate one - better 'bargains' at dry goods like Bose or Crate & Barrell ; outlets are not in general what they used to be, now most manufacturers make clothing specifically for their outlet stores, so you are not really getting the exact same clothing that is full price elsewhere for a factory outlet price at all - you are getting something that was made for less money to sell for less money, so today you really need to 'know your goods' and fabrics, etc. Used to be otherwise, but today even JJill, Chicos, most of them make things specifically for their outlets and Coach usuallys sends their seconds, mistakes or lines they are no longer carrying in stores - so if any of this matters to you, then as far as I am concerned, is is a mall you can skip

And on a rainy day, I'd go anywhere but an outlet mall :)