Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Is there any such thing as a luxury resort on Sanibel or Captiva?

Is there any such thing as a luxury resort on Sanibel or Captiva?

Jun 9th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Jackie

Is there any such thing as a luxury resort on Sanibel or Captiva?

I have been getting impression that Sanibel and Captiva are mostly for families with kids and that even the best hotels are on the tacky side with '70s condo furniture and dirty swimming pools. Can somebody prove me wrong? I hope so.

Jun 9th, 2002, 03:09 PM
C Ford

Try the Sanibel Harbour Resort and Spa, a four star, full service hotel, just before the causeway crossing. We stayed mid-May, in the eleven story main building overlooking the gulf, marina and central pool. Very nice room and balcony. Three good restaurants, tennis courts, nice main pool, Brunch, cocktail and dinner cruises. Good spa and fitness center, where we had massages. Fishing off the little pier. At that time of year, they offered fantastic room and golf packages and the place was pretty well empty. It probably gets a lot busier during school breaks, but it is kind of pricey then, which may deter larger families.

There is a small beach to the side of the hotel, but they will shuttle you to several Sanibel locations, including the beach, so you don't have to deal with the hassle of the traffic and parking.

The other suggestion is the South Seas Plantation at the end of Capitiva, which has a wide variety of accommodations. We didn't stay there, but did play golf, ate and had drinks on Sunet Beach (georgeous - one of the few beaches where you can watch the sun set.)

Overall, during that off-season time of year, Sanibel and Capital exceeded our expectations for weather, beaches, golf, and best of all, very few tourists!

Search this Thread