Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is There Any Reasonably Straightforward Public Transit from DC to Annapolis and a few other Qs?

Search

Is There Any Reasonably Straightforward Public Transit from DC to Annapolis and a few other Qs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I really hate having the responsibility of renting a car when I travel if I don't have to. When I visit my parents in the Washington DC area this December, I thought it might be fun on a nice day to explore the waterfront area of Annapolis.

Looking at the map, the peninsula that contains the State House seems pretty walkable. I'm guessing there will be some reasonably-priced places to eat here near the waterfront.

I'd prefer to take a bus if possible on the WMATA system (DC transit), but I can't seem to find much (one bus goes to Annapolis Mall it says on their website, but I don't know if that's close to the State House). It's 35 miles, and the Baltimore system I notice does have express buses for commuters, so I thought the DC system might have a similar bas. Greyhound goes to Annapolis but there's a transfer in Baltimore that makes it seem needlessly time-consuming.

I'm gathering I shouldn't have safety concerns in the area near the water near the State House and the Naval Academy...I hope I'm not mistaken. Thanks for any thoughts!

DAN
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 08:31 AM
LN

Is there any public transit? To my knowledge NO there isn't.

Annapolis is a great place to explore ut it is probably 35 miles from downtown DC. There is subway available out to the beltway and Lanham but nothin that really goes beyond.

There are some great places to eat on the waterfront from Middletons, Maria, Buddy's Crabs, McGarveys - they're all good.

You could consider taking a bus out to Annapolis Mall and then getting a cab down to the waterfront cause it';s a really good healthy walk.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Hi Daniel, Wish I had more facts but ex-neighbor took a commuter bus TO D.C. from a Park and Ride on Riva Road in Annapolis. Sorry, don't know which bus-think Annapolis bus to downtown goes by. Check Annapolis bus info. I'm almost certain you can catch an Annapolis bus to downtown from the Mall. It's about 3-4 miles from the mall to downtown. Although sidewalks all the way, I'd think that's too much.

Also, check for busses to the Naval Academy Stadium-there are frequent local busses to downtown from there.
The return times, if they are commuter busses, may not give you enough time to savor wonderful Annapolis. You might have to bite the rental bullet for this trip! Please let us know what you end up doing.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Look into buses servicing New Carrollton. See www.mtamaryland.com for routes and scedules. There was a bus #921, "EXPRESS SERVICE VIA U.S. 50 AND I-495 TO:
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
West Street
Harry S. Truman Park & Ride
Davidsonville
New Carrollton Metrorail Station"

It left NewCar at 7:10am & 8:45am,1:15 3:15 4:20 4:55 5:25 6:05 6:30 7:20 8:15 & took about 1/2-3/4 hour to Navy Stadium.

Or Express bus 950:
EXPRESS SERVICE VIA U.S. 50 TO:
Kent Island
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
West Street
Harry S. Truman Park & Ride
Mount Vernon Square
K Street
McPherson Square
Farragut Square
George Washington University
State Department

However its schedule is geared more for commuters going to work in DC for the day.

I've only been to Annapolis once, & drove, but I'm sure there's some local bus service. We parked just a bit west of State Circle & walked down to waterfront & to nearby Academy entrance. It was a Sunday; I didn't see any buses but then I see few where I live on Sunday too. Just realized it was you, "DW" making the inquiry. I'm sure we'll be treated with another of your great trip reports afterwards!
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hey Rb--

Thank you for your great advice as usual. It took me a bit to find, but through www.dillonbus.com, Dillon's Bus, which sounds like a public-private partnership with the MTA, it seems like they offer that #921 bus you spoke of from New Carrollton express stopping at West & Calvert in Annapolis for $3.85 each way. The bus is really ideal for me as my parents live along the Orange Line of the DC metro anyway and West & Calvert appears perfectly situated for exploring historic Annapolis (State House, Treasury House, William Paca House, etc...) & the waterfront!

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions! DAN
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi again

One more question. On my Lonely Planet map of Annapolis, I don't see any coffee shops mentioned. One thing I like to do when I travel is stop and get a coffee/tea and decompress (somewhere to sit, kill a bit of time without spending too much money before catching a bus if it's raining, when I need a break from the museums, etc...).

Any suggestions? I much prefer locally-run cafes (a pastry/bread shop would be fine too). I'll go to a Starbuck's if that's all there is...

Thanks DAN

PS Rb--I'll definitely be writing a trip report after. Did you like Annapolis when you went?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM

There are 2 on the street facing the market house (closed at the mo); one at the corner of Prince George and Randall; one near State Circle and Maryland Ave.; and one on West Street (49?). Also one at the corner of Annapolis St. and Melvin but you might not be in the West Annapolis area.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Here's a whole list of Annapolis coffee shops... I believe we had a latte at City Dock and it was excellent.

http://www.surfannapolis.com/entitie...fm?c=36&type=1
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Annapolis is apparently the only state capital in the US not directly served by any transportation links, including bus, train or air. When you check Dillons Bus, make sure that it's not on weekdays only. There isn't too much in and out of Annapolis proper on the weekends. It's a very walkable city and a lovely place... I lived there for 4 years in the late 80's.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM

The other coffee shop facing city dock is something like Hard Bean Coffee and Booksellers. Local artists also show works there.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all for your cafe and transit suggestions.

It is true that Dillon's Bus only runs on weekdays, although 12 times a day; this would likely work for me as I'll be on vacation.

It does seem bizarre that Annapolis does not have some sort of transit going to it on weekends from DC (other than the 3 Greyhound via Bawlmer). What seems like a historic, charming city would I'm sure draw some European, etc... tourists to it who are visiting the nation's capital without a car, esp. since it's only 35 miles away, a great day trip. Maybe some enterprising Annapolian (?!?) will realize this potential for their beloved town and start a bus service themselves .

Thanks again! DAN
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Hello

I can't believe I asked this question in 2005 and only ended up taking the trip now in December 2008; other travel dreams somehow superseded this one. Anyhow, I had a lovely day trip to the great town of Annapolis (thanks to the suggested #921 Dillon's bus!)and wanted to thank all who advised! I went to three places mentioned: Hard Beans and City Dock Cafe and Middleton's Tavern.

I posted a trip report for any who are interested...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35173050

Happy holidays! Daniel