Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there any Cape Cod high end resort that's worth it?

Old Apr 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a trip to the Cape (looking at some combo of Brewster, Chatham and/or Nantucket) for August. We travel extensively and are used to staying at properties equivalent to a Ritz or 4 star hotel. We have a 4 year old and 1.5 year old who also travel with us. I am curious if there is some resort that I'm just missing...they all seem to be very expensive ($1000-$1500/night)...which is fine if I get a good experience. But the reviews seem very mixed on everything I look at given the price...the rooms are old or musty, the service is very spotty, meals take a long time (not good with kiddos!). I would really prefer to be walking distance to the town as well, to offer us more restaurants. But in looking at Chatham Bar Inn, Oceans Edge (Mansion side) and Wequasset (which isn't even walking distance), I'm just having a really hard time justifying the cost for what the reviews show. My challenge on Nantucket is that White Elephant doesn't have a pool and the Nantucket Hotel doesn't have balconies (at least until you get into the $1800/night range which I'm not willing to do). And we need both for the kids (or for us to sit on while they're napping/sleeping!). So again, I'm willing to spend the money if the quality of the property justifies it...that just doesn't seem to be the case. Have I missed a resort? Are people really willing to spend this much for a bad service and an old room? Thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Well...in my experience the cape resorts are more about the beach than the resort. That is to say, youíre paying for the location, not the quality of the resort. I had some of the same issues when I booked for my family trip and finally I gave up and booked a b&b that looked cute and was walking distance to everything. It worked out, because the location turned out to be perfect. I didnít miss the pool because I went swimming in the ocean.

I donít know, though, is it possible youíre focusing too much on the negative reviews vs the positive reviews? All the stuff youíve listed is very subjective and people are crazy. Slow dining could just be a result of crazy crowds, so Iím not sure Iíd put much stock in that one (for example).
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Unless you are specifically looking for a children's program, you may want to consider a rental with a pool. That would give you more than a room and plenty of space to accommodate your children's needs. You should find a great place within your budget.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 05:55 PM

We were just at the Cape last weekend. Chatham Bars Inn is a beautiful hotel in a great location with a fantastic view. We didn’t stay there but I did go into the lobby area and the restaurant. It was beautiful with a lovely front deck where you could eat looking at the ocean. They have a pool across the street right near the beach. You can walk to town from there. We had dinner at the Wequasset Inn and it was superb! It was our anniversary and they could not have made us feel more special. I would love to stay there but it did not strike me as kid friendly and I can only imagine what it would cost in the summer. You can not walk anywhere from there. If I had kids I would go for Chatham Bars Inn. It is pretty large and I think they have a variety of different types of accommodations.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 04:06 AM

When we explored the Cape, we stayed in both the Chatham and Brewster areas. We much preferred Chatham in every way. We had a very bad experience at Ocean's Edge (which unfortunately wasn't just experienced by us) and it is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in all of North America. Hope you have a great trip - I'm very jealous, the restaurants in Chatham are fantastic!
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 08:11 AM

there's no getting around it - in season prices are vulgar. Chatham's Bar Inn offers a variety of accommodations and has resort amnenities. High season in Nantucket is beyond vulgar. I have stayed off season twice at White Elephant. You might consider the experience of the Boat Basin, a property within the business group. I have stayed there 3 times and love the wharf location and listening to the boat rigging clang. It's not the ritz but has its charm and many of cottages and lofts have balconies to enjoy and harbor watch. I wouldn't hesitate staying there for a couple of nights with a CBI mix on the cape.

Nantucket, MA Hotel - The Cottages & Lofts at the Boat Basin - Official Site

The cape and islands are not ritz like resort areas. It is what it is.

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; Apr 30th, 2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Chatham Bars and Ocean’s Edge in Brewster.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Well, a year later and we ended up on a 2.5 week glorious trip to Cape Cod. We rented a house on the beach in Brewster for two weeks, then spent 4 nights at the Wequasset. Brewster was an excellent base for exploring, the tidal flats were so interesting for all of us, the beach was calm for little kids and it had fabulous sunsets. We loved the Wequasset and while not walking distance to downtown Chatham, fit the bill in every other way for a high end resort. Because we had already done a lot of exploring during our time in Brewster, we spent most of our time on property at the Wequassett. The service was very good and they were great with young kids. My report on TA is listed under "emorygrad" if you're interested.