Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a vacation spot anywhere that would make friends/co-workers say "WOW"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The world has gotten so small that I can't think of anywhere that I could visit that would impress anyone but me. Hawaii? Nope. Italy, France, England, Ireland? Out. Africa? Been done. So what's left? If someone asked "Where can I go on vaction that hasn't been done to death?" What would you tell them?
Please, no philosophical comments about exploring my own country first. I'm only wondering if there is anything truly "different" out there.
"Here's to us, and those like us.........damned few left"
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
GoTravel

How about off the coast of Africa? Seychelles, Mauritus, Madagascar, Canary Islands.

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Vietnam is supposed to be awesome now - don't know if that would make people say, "Wow." But then again, I don't travel to impress others.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM

enough of my old neighbors went to Viet Nam that we are no longer being wowed by that.
I have to admit to saying wow when I read this question though.
There is a saying that sort of goes, wherever you go, there you are.
So I would forget about impressing everyone else and think about what would impress you.
Good luck.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM

If it impresses you, that's what is important. I go to Colorado every year because the mountains impress ME. I couldn't care less what my colleagues or friends say.

And besides, my friends aren't so shallow as to judge me by the money I can spend on a vacation.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I knew that wording this question the way I did would probably get remarks about "impressing others" but I had hoped it would result in unique, interesting, less visited vacation places that some people had found. I'll have to try to remember this the next time I post a question.
And after spending 15 months in Vietnam, I think I'll pass on calling it a vacation spot.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM
TC

Don't know who you work with, but my friends are still pretty impressed with an African safari, a month in China, scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef, exploring the small vilages of Provence or Italy, sailing and diving Tahiti. For us its not WHERE you go, but WHAT you do and HOW you do it that puts the WOW factor into your travels.

Grab a copy of "1000 Places to See Before You Die". Its a pretty good "To Do" list.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Latin America? The Andes? Up the Amazon on a steamboat?
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I think I get what your saying. I don't think he's saying he's out to impress anyone but that in general the world has gotten smaller and maybe because of that, places that used to seem so exotic and far off have lost their magic appeal.

There is some truth to this statement in that the world has gotten smaller but many places still appeal to me personally.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Pitcairn Island or St. Helena.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Our friends thought our trip to Newfoundland was unusual. It's a fantastic place to visit.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM

well, this may not be politically correct but I was apart of a world meeting in Havana, Cuba and took a lot of pictures of Cuba, Castro (from 10' way) and the experience made a lot of people I've spoken to go, "wow!"

Because, Americans have restrictions regarding going to Cuba, and because it's a hot political issue.

The city was like a time warp but it must have been an amazing place in the 50's because you could drive for 15-20 minutes on one street for example and see old mansion after mansion. Marble columns, statues, very ritzy. I was amazed out how beautiful the place "was". Most of these mansions are run down and the paint has faded.

I would go back and visit in a heart beat!

Don't flame me!
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM
wow

You cld visit me! Very impressive!
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The most comments we've received along the "oh wow" lines were when we took a freighter across the Pacific a few years ago. Cheap, too. www.freighterworld.com
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM

One word: Africa... yes, others have done it, but it's still the place.

Having been to Belize, New Zealand, Italy, Ireland, Scotland, England, Canada, Mexico, France, I still get the most 'wows' when I start a sentence with something like 'Well, when we landed in Nairobi...'.

Having been to Kenya/Tanzania and South Africa, I can say it's worth the journey and most people will never get there.

If you can't simply impress them with Africa, impress them with what you do there. Go cage diving with great white sharks in S.A., climb Kilamanjaro, hike the Namib... you won't regret it.
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Space Station Mir?

Anyway, it's not where you go, it's how you experience it. You could go to one of the top 10 places mentioned here and do a trip that would make most people go "Wow. I now must go there."
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Australia
New Zeland
India
China
Cuba
Egypt

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Is there something you really plan to do, or have you asked your question just to see what kind of answers you will get? I'm sorry, but questions that ask for "the world's best" of anything don't interest me.
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM

irian jaya or papua new guinea
mongolia
bhutan
burma
cambodia
maldives
seychelles
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

To Wayne -
I have been blessed in that I have traveled the world and our country extensively (partly due to serving 20 years in the USAF). I know how truly lucky I am. But I AM looking for somewhere new to visit. Top 10 lists don't impress me, but uniqueness (if supported by experience) does. We'll see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -