Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a reasonable amount of legroom in coach-class, Delta Airlines?

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Iwant

(Have tried this question on Airline forum with no luck!) I do like a bit of space but can't afford business or first class or else I would book it in a flash! long flight from UK so would be pleased to know. Many thanks

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:24 PM
xxx

like any other airline. We all suffer in coach...

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Dan

American is the only airline with significantly more room in coach. United has SOME seats ("Economy Plus") that are decent but they are reserved for frequent flyers and are at the front of the coach cabin.

My experiences have been that Delta is the worst on long-haul aircraft.

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Iwant

thanks for your input! Maybe I will re-think the airline..

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:31 PM
what's

Iwant, you have one person who says it's bad and you need to rethink the whole thing? maybe you shouldn't bother...

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Iwant

..thats helpful, whats up. Its a way of getting it back up to the top....duhhhhhh

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
flyer

Coach isn't comfy on long flights, period. There's always a trade off, comfort vs. price. Decide what's important to you

Aug 11th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Bob Brown

Delta is no better than any of the others, and probably worse. On trans Atlantic fights, I personally have found Delta to be the worst, along with Air France.
The Boeing 777s that both airlines fly between Atlanta and Paris are so tightly configured that a person more than about 5'9" cannot sit comfortably.
I don't like to fly Delta. I know that all airlines are having profit problems, but somehow squeezing passengers to the point of severe discomfort does not strike me as being the way to make more money.
I don't know what the solution is going to be. For the time being I guess we suffer.

Aug 11th, 2002, 01:15 PM
gbs

I've found American to have the best leg room, haven't done it overseas, but its the best for cross-country

Aug 11th, 2002, 01:22 PM
TexMex

Just returned from two Delta flights this week. I usually fly American. I am 6'2" tall and I was miserable. My knees had bruises from ramming into the seat in front of me. The seats were so narrow, that they were painful. I will admit weighing 250#s so maybe that is my fault. I will avoid Delta coach whenever I can. I was on a 767 and an MD88.

Aug 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Rich

As Dan said, American is the only major U.S. airline that has significantly more legroom. They removed rows of seats from their entire fleet, which means everybody has more room. I'm 6'3", so the couple of extra inches makes a HUGE difference to me. As a result, I always choose American if at all possible.

If legroom is important to you I would choose American. If you can't get it, then in my experience all the other airlines are about the same.

Aug 11th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Moose

My wife and I are planning a trip next month from the west to east coast, requiring a change in both directions. In order to assure enough tush and (especially) shoulder room in coach (big me, normal her) I booked three seats on American using every trick in the on-line booking book. The base fare was cheap enough ($60 less per seat than the advance price on SWA on the same route BTW, plus faster) that buying 3 for 2 persons didn't break the bank at all. The result is that instead of 14 flying hours for each of us stuck in teensy seats with little legroom (SWA, Delta, United - all of them much less than AA) we get to stretch out, use the center seat for books, and make flying pleasant. With AA's additional leg room and the empty seat space for my shoulders (or for her to snooze in half stretched out) it's as good as first class, except about 1/6th the price all in.

I know this solution doesn't work for everyone, but the extra hundred bucks per person, divided by 14 hours, seems okay value when the alternative is to be in a smaller seat than offered by the Jersey commuter trains (really).