Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a quiet place to rest in the Dallas airport?

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We have a four and a half hour layover at DFW at 5:20 am (3:20 our time!) and wondered if anyone knew of a quiet place to rest.

Any suggestions for places to eat?

Also, are there any children's activities in the airport?

Thank You,
Gem

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Here is a link to the DFW airport

http://www.dfwairport.com/

No children things to do, althought I have been guilty of getting on the Tram and riding around into oblivion to kill time when I travel with my kids. It's free, too.

Quiet places to rest?...I have found a back corner and rested there. The time you are arriving though, should be quiet enough.

Eating--Dickie's BBQ, TGI Fridays..that type of thing. DFW was just rated as the most fattening airport food. They are trying to upgrade the food quality as not all passengers want BBQ and fried chicken.

DO you not have access to an airport lounge? Can you see if you can get a one day pass into a lounge (any ffy numbers?) and perhaps use the lounge for the day?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM

There are some fine restaurant chain "kiosks" in the American Airlines Terminal. Does your layover begin at 5:20 am? TGI Fridays has a restaurant there for a nice sit down meal but I'm not sure when they open. They may open for breakfast. There is what looks to be a nice Mexican/Tex-Mex type restaurant here as well--I can't remember the name of it. As for a quiet spot, there is a chapel at DFW which will most likely be open. Not sure about children's activities. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Are you by chance arriving from Hawaii? I just did this a week ago--actually due to strong tailwinds, we arrived at 4:50. Let me tell you, it is dead at that time. None of the fast food places open till 6:00 or 6:30, Fridays doesn't open till 7:00 or so. The Admiral's Club is closed. It was freezing cold in the airport. I just sat and froze and tried to read my book till my 8:00 connecting flight.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:09 AM

There is a large hotel INSIDE the airport grounds. The tram runs to it. You could find a nice place to sit for a while there.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great (and speedy!) replies!!

The airport website is very helpful!

I just checked on day passes for American's lounge- $50 for the first person and $25 for the next (if anyone was wondering).

Does anyone have know the name of the in airport hotel that Connie suggested? I can not find any information about it.

Thank you for all the great suggestions!!
Gem
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Gem,

It's the Hyatt Regency.

http://dfwairport.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM

FWIW, the Hyatt Regency is in downtown Dallas. The DFW Hyatt is in DFW Airport. (And the Hyatt Grand is under construction in Terminal 5.) The crazy little trams will take you there, or if you land at the terminal nearest the hotel, you can walk to it. (I think it is 3, but I am not sure.)

I'd highly recommend getting a room at the Hyatt. As the other posters have mentioned, there is NOTHING open that early, and DFW has really uncomfortable chairs in the terminals! Beware that the restaurants in the hotel are horribly expensive, but if that's all you have access to... the rest of the restaurants at DFW are INSIDE security.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:04 PM

ChristieP,

At the risk of sounding pedantic, here's an excerpt from the hotel's web site:

"Conveniently situated within the bustling Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, the Hyatt Regency DFW offers a magnificent combination of business and convention facilities."

Andre