Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is there a problem with homeless ppl in Key West?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-there-a-problem-with-homeless-ppl-in-key-west-284510/)

SandyP Feb 3rd, 2003 10:56 AM

Is there a problem with homeless ppl in Key West??

Planning a trip in the spring with my sister and my parents and we're considering Key West. An acquaintenced mentioned that she had heard there was a serious homless problem in Key West and that it might be dangerous and affect our trip. I have never heard anything like that.<BR><BR>Now let me say that I grew up near Venice Beach, CA, love to travel to San Francisco and live in San Diego and have yet to find a homeless problem so bad that I would consider it dangerous or threatening, so I find it hard to believe that it would be an issue in Key West. I would love some feedback on this issue from people who have been to Key West to clear this up. Thanks in advance.<BR>Sandy

Voice_of_Reason Feb 3rd, 2003 11:28 AM

Yes the homeless people are terrible. They are known to squat in already occupied hotel rooms, forcing the hapless residents into the street for the duration of their vacations. They will ruin your holiday!

SuzieQ Feb 3rd, 2003 11:28 AM

I didn't think it was a anymore of a problem than any other year-round warm city has. All warm places have homeless people. Key West has been in the news as of late because they are addressing the problem. I would never consider Key West an unsafe city because of its homeless. If anything, its one of the safest places I have ever been. Don't worry and enjoy your trip.

JTKirk Feb 3rd, 2003 11:36 AM

<BR><BR>I've been going to Key West since 1966. I've never had a problem with homeless people. Are they there (or, were they there, before the tyrannical Mayor got involved)? Yes. But like Susie said, all warm weather towns have 'em.<BR><BR>Frankly, I'd be more concerned about drunken idiots on motor scooters.

OliveOyl Feb 3rd, 2003 11:52 AM

I must have missed out on the news about the mayor. What's happening? A month or so ago a couple of people were posting that this mayor was rounding up all the chickens and sending them to Tampa. Is he doing the same with the homeless? :O <BR><BR>Seriously, the few days I spent in Key West I didn't notice homeless people one way or the other. Don't let your naysayer sky-is-falling friend deter you from a terrific vacation!

JTKirk Feb 3rd, 2003 12:00 PM

<BR><BR>The mayor did, indeed, want to ship all the homeless people to Miami.<BR><BR>When Miami responded, in words or substance, &quot;What, are you nuts?&quot;, the mayor passed an ordinance which keeps the homeless &quot;x&quot; number of blocks away from the main drag. Heavens forbid that the cruise ship people see any homeless people!!!

Bambi Feb 3rd, 2003 12:08 PM

My friend told me that there is a law in Key West that all unoccupied hotel rooms that are not guaranteed for late arrival to a credit card must be offered to the homeless after 10pm. I guess that means that if a hotel still has unreserved rooms leftover after 10:00, by law the homeless are welcome to stay for the night for free. I don't know if its true but my friend said that the hotels are compensated by the city and it's better to keep them off the streets.

OliveOyl Feb 3rd, 2003 12:38 PM

Well perhaps he's just not an effective mayor. We haven't seen the chickens in Tampa either. LOL<BR><BR>Bambi...SURELY you jest!!

JohnNewOrleans Feb 3rd, 2003 01:17 PM

Bambi, your friend is pulling your leg!!

SuzieQ Feb 3rd, 2003 01:22 PM

Bambi,<BR>You are either a creative troll or someone who is very gullible.

don512 Feb 3rd, 2003 01:33 PM

On my next trip to Key West I figure that I will just take a late flight in, any suggestions on which hotel would be best for me to stand outside of and be homeless? Will they upgrade me to a suite if the suites aren't all taken?

SandyP Feb 3rd, 2003 01:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty sure the whole &quot;homeless problem&quot; thing was exaggerated,, and you've all confirmed it.

SandyP Feb 3rd, 2003 01:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty sure the whole &quot;homeless problem&quot; thing was exaggerated,, and you've all confirmed it.

don512 Feb 3rd, 2003 01:35 PM

SandyP, by the way, everytime I have been to KW, I have seen homeless people, but never have they been a problem. Go and enjoy yourself!!

jor Feb 3rd, 2003 01:47 PM

<BR>I am a homeless person and depend on those hotel rooms after 10PM. The real problem is the Yuppies acting like they are homeless and trying to get space.<BR><BR>As for the cruise ships, we do not rip off and take advantage of the cruise tourists. We let the gift shop owners do that. Also, we are not herded away when the ships are docking. We leave because we don't want anyone to think we are one of them.

Sherry Feb 3rd, 2003 01:47 PM

Well this has got to be the &quot;humour&quot; post of the day! <BR>No chickens yet in Tampa, no homeless shipped to Miami either, its time to get rid of that mayor!! LOL<BR>And I love Don's idea of standing outfront of a hotel waiting for a suite!!<BR><BR>All in jest folks, this thread made me laugh!

Patrick Feb 3rd, 2003 01:52 PM

To answer your question specifically, &quot;is there a problem with homeless people in Key West&quot;, yes, there is. The problem with them is they don't have homes!<BR><BR>But if you are asking if there is a problem with Key West because of the homeless people -- I'd say no. They are about the same as almost anywhere these days, but have not been known to cause a lot of problems.<BR><BR>But yes, the rest of this post gave me a few laughs too.

cd Feb 3rd, 2003 02:09 PM

We were one of those &quot;cruise ship folks&quot; a few weeks ago. Honest, We saw a lot of chickens, but no homeless!

cassie Feb 3rd, 2003 03:11 PM

SandyP----I think the problem is in your second sentence &quot; An acquaintence mentioned she had heard&quot;--3rd-4th hand info is usually something to be leery of.<BR>There are certainly some characters in Key West but I ( 4 visits ) have never had a problem and really don't think you should be too concerned. Just use common sense wherever you go. <BR><BR>You will be in more peril from spring breakers than anything.