COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Is there a problem with drug dealers in Oahu?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Linda

Is there a problem with drug dealers in Oahu?

I plan on bringing my children who are 14 and 16 to Oahu. I was thinking they could go off on their own some days, but I read on the Lonely Planet website that drug dealers frequent the beaches. If this is true, please offer some opinions on how to deal with this matter.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:20 AM
local boy

I'm sure there are drug dealers in Hawaii, but not to the extent that you'll find them on mainland cities. I, and I go to the beach daily, have never witnessed any drug deals going on. Waikiki, especially, is pretty well covered by the cops and any drug dealer would have to be nuts to deal there.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Nina

Linda: I just came back from Oahu - and yes it's true about the drugs. No one approached us on the beach because the police patrol it all the time. But my husband and I were approached several times on the main street - we were just walking - the dealers pull up beside you in a car and motorcycle asking if you want to buy. If I had children I would take extra caution.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Vehicular_Challenged_Man

What's "a car and motorcycle ?".

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:46 PM
bob

If your worried about your kids buying drugs, it's too late to shelter them. Hawaii is no better or worse than any place else

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:31 PM
kalena

Gosh I must live a sheltered life or I'm turning in way too early. I have never seen the kind of behavior that Nina describes in Waikiki, and I have lived in Hawaii for 30 years! Hang on to your kids in Paris and NYC, though!

I don't want to minimize your concerns, Linda. When I planned our Alaska trip last year, I read similar comments on this board about Seward, Alaska. Unfortunately we must infer that drug dealers do business at a lot of tourist destinations, and they may very well be targeting teens. As parents, our best defense is to keep the lines of communication and our eyes open.
(By the way, ours are 13 and 15.)

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:50 PM
scigirl

I also live on Oahu and have never been approached by a drug dealer on the beach or anywhere else. I am surprised to hear that Lonely Planent makes mention of it being a problem. I would think a busy public beach would be the last place a drug dealer would want to conduct business. Have a good trip - I don't think you have anything special to worry about in regards to being approaced by drug dealers.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:42 PM
Melissa

No one's ever approached me...I must be sheltered, too! But take heart, there's tons of undercover cops out there. I once went on a police ride-along program, and undercover cops busted some coke dealers on the beach (at night). When we got to the scene, I couldn't tell which was the cop and which was the dealer! Anyway, my point is, you ARE protected by the police. But as with any big city, take the same basic precautions.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:41 PM
Bob

I just can't imagine staying someplace like the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Halekulani and being approached by drug dealers in front of these hotels! The idea is totally ABSURD!!!