Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a noticable odor in Kaanapali like one of my travel books mention?

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 04:07 PM
michelle

My husband and I are planning a trip next year to Maui. We bought a few travel guide books to educate ourselves on the different areas. One of the books said that Kaanapali has two problems they call the "Kaanapali perfumes". One problem is the smell when the sugarcane fields burn and the other is the smell of the sewage treatment plant.
Has anyone who has been there noticed these smells? Also is there a certain time of the year when they burn the sugarcane fields?
The Kaanapali area sounds very upbeat and fun. I like the idea of a walkway near the ocean and a wide variety of places to eat and hang out. It sounds better than what seems like the isolated areas of Wailea and Kapalua.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:21 PM
traveler

We stayed in Kaanapali last year un early July and noticed no strange smells. It was wonderful to be there and we really enjoyed staying in that area. Have fun!

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:18 PM
Carl

Several visits. Never noticed the 'perfumes'.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 07:09 PM
sandi

Michelle, Never had the smells whilewe were there (April). Throw that guidebook out, there may be other inaccuracies!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 02:34 AM
Charlie

Hi Michelle , I've been to Kaanapali several times and never noticed any "smells".In fact,unless hidden,I haven't seen any sugar cane near Kaanapali.The sugar cane fields are located in the mid-lands and with the prevailing winds the smoke usually drifts toward Kihei,Wailea,Makena and the southern shore.I've not stayed in the south so I don't know if the smoke is noticable or not but I know that its no problem in the west(Kaanapali).By the way I've always visited around September and they do burn(early AM)then,I don't know about other times of year.Have fun!!!!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:21 AM
Bill

Michelle,
5 days there in June and noticed nothing but the flowers.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 09:11 AM
Lani

Vacationed on Maui three times, was all over the island doing various things, and never smelled anything unpleasant. Have virtually all the guidebooks on Hawaii, and never read of any sewage smell anywhere. Also, when they do burn sugarcane on the islands, it's not an unpleasant smell. I've been there when they did, and didn't even really notice, and I have a VERY sensitive nose.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Jim

I've never noticed any stange smells, but once while staying at the Sugar Beach resort near Keihi, they were burning the cane fields to the East and we were showered with large pieces of burned folage from the fields. Not a major problem, just a nuisence for a while. It made playing tennis an unusual experience. As I recall during that time there was a smell of smoke in the early morning, but again, no big deal.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:54 PM
DO

You should try to seek out the smell of sugarcane burning because when I was there in late June I heard they were not going to plant any sugarcane their any longer. Something about the lease running out on the land. I saw a large unplanted sugarcane field when I was on a dinner cruise. Who knows, it could be true.

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM

my husband and i went to Maui July 2010, and arrived at night. We wanted to experience a convertible being we were in Hawaii, and on our way to Sugar Beach Condo, were greeted by the beautiful Hawaiian night breeze, and soon....THE STENCH. We are Canadian and have never smelled anything so sweet & rotten, so to say the least were hoping it would go away. However, once we hit the condo's it didn't smell, or anywhere else, so it seemed to be in the middle of the island and found out it was sugarcane. the trip was beautiful though and the smell did not bother us on any other locations. Just from about 10mins after leaving the airport toward Kehei.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM

(this OP is 10 years old)