Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 Days in D.C., What to see, where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 08:33 AM
SophieK

My husband and I are planning to visit DC in the second weeek of April. We've never been before and we're wondering about White House Tours and Supreme Courts tours. Also, can someone suggest some healthy dining?

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 11:50 AM
ilisa

Since it is probably too late for you to obtain White House passes from your member of Congress (they get about 10 a week and request a 3 month notice), you must obtain them from the White House Visitors Center. Public tours are given between 10:00am and 12:00 noon, Tuesday through Saturday. You can pick up free, timed tickets from the visitors center (corner of 15th and E at the intersection of Pennsylvania) beginning at 7:30am the morning you wish to visit. You then go to the White House at the appointed time. Tours are self-guided, though members of the Secret Service Uniformed Division will be posted throughout to answer any questions.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 07:08 PM
scigirl

The holocaust museum is worth a trip. You need to get in line pretty early to get tickets - generally for a time later in the day. It is best to get early tickets since the museum tends to get more crowded as the day goes on. This isn't a happy museum to visit - but very profound and educational. (And not a place to take young children - there is a separate area for young children to learn about the holocaust. If you are the sort to read and look at all displays allow at least 4 hours for the museum.

The museums of the Smithsonian are also great - although it is pretty much impossible to see more than 1 or 2 before your feet give out completely.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 05:32 AM
dan woodlief

You can also order Holocaust Museum tickets ahead of time on the Web site (I did) and pick them up when you enter. Of course, you would have to plan when you are going to go ahead of time.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Jud Compton

On our web site, we have a travelogue and an itinerary for Washington, D.C.

http://www.geocities.com/judcomp

You could spend four days in the Smithsonian museums. And, of course, there are the monuments -- Lincoln, Vietnam (wall), Korea, etc., etc.

Washington is a great city!

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 10:12 AM
kal

Ms. Sophie, The cheapest sight we loved was watching a sunset from the steps of the Lincoln looking back towards the George and the Capitol...get up on the top steps and off to the side about 1/2 hr b4 sunset and then watch the dome slowly begin to glow and then pick up the flags silloettes start to show on the George and then look to the right and see the Tom...Really nice...Might be chilly at night in April...

Also, the view from the Old Post office otwer is better than the George because the whole mall is in front of you and the wait is less.

For healthy eating, we ate at an Ethiopian restaurant that I want to say was a block or 2 north of the white house...veggie menu was nice...
have fun....

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 11:02 AM
John

Hi, Sophie,
Don't give up too easily on "VIP" tours of the White House arranged through your Congressperson's or Senator's office. ("VIP" means the line is a little shorter and you get to see another public room or two.) Some states or congressional districts don't get that much tourist action. Phone their state or district offices, usually in the government listings in the phone book, to enquire. In my experience any constituent visit to the DC offices of electeds has good results - they're not in the business of disappointing voters.

Regardless, though, you should plan on attending a House or Senate session, in conjunction with a tour of the Capitol. Have lunch in the Senate cafeteria (bean soup is traditional but crummy IMO) and gawk at the famous faces.

I think DC is an absolute must for visits; I always tell overseas friends I won't put them up until they agree to visit Washington at some point in their journeys. Yes, it's hot in summer and has a lousy reputation for safety, but you'll be fine if you use common sense. The rewards of a spring visit to DC are just too numerous to list.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 11:13 AM
ilisa

Actually, the VIP, or congressional tour as they are commonly are called, differ from the regular tours in that they are earlier in morning and are guided. No extra rooms, however. I only say this not to be snippy, but because I don't want anyone thinking they are getting anything very different. Regarding the seeing the House and Senate, if they are in session, then you need passes (also obtained through the offices). If they are not in session (and they are scheduled to be on recess April 17-28), then you do not need passes. If you see an Officer Oman at the White House, say hi. It's my hubby.