Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a good place for cioppino in North Beach, San Francisco?

Notices

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to the 5 pm Beach Blanket Babylon show on a Sunday in October. Is there a good spot to get cioppino in North Beach--one of our group loves it. Have looked at Blue Mermaid and Cioppino's at the Wharf, but would prefer North Beach if possible. Thanks.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Here's one not far away: http://www.cioppinosf.com/

HTTY
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's one of the restaurants I had looked at but would prefer something in North Beach if it exists.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Ruth. Right around the corner from BBB is the Mona Lisa Restaurant. They have two cioppino dishes, no doubt the person in your group would be interested in the fish (pesce) cioppino dish.

I have never ordered either cioppino dish at the Mona Lisa But I have eaten lunch and dinner there many times. Many Fodorite's have also and most of them return if they have time during their visit in SF or on their next visit to SF. There was only one Fodorite who hated the Mona Lisa but she sounded like there wasn't much about her visit to SF that pleased her actually.

Here is their website. Click on the Menu at the bottom and than Specialities. I would strongly suggest you make reservations as there can be a long line of people waiting out on the sidewalk. If you do decide to go the Mona Lisa I hope you and your group enjoy your dinners and your visit in SF.
http://www.monalisasf.com/
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although this restaurant is not in North Beach, I had the best seafood cioppion at Tadich Grill a few weeks ago. It was amazing.

I also ordered crab cioppino at Rosa Pistola Restaurant on Columbus, but unfortunately cannot recommend it. It was very watery and I had to crack the crab legs myself which was very messy.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it is indeed an institution and does have some of the best cippino, Tadish is not open on Sunday.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. I will definitely look at the Mona Lisa. It is more difficult as many restaurants are not open on Sunday night.

Loveitaly and DebitNM, I remember you both from other posts and am glad to see you both still helping folks on these forums.

Ruth
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, you'll love BBB, we saw it earlier this year along with Fodorite, Abranz, and we laughed ourselves silly!

If you decide to go more towards Italian, we liked E Tutto Qua. Not sure if they have cioppino.

http://etuttoqua.com
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to mention, RuthMc, that the owner of the MonaLisa is from southern Italy and his employees are basically all from Italy with a few exceptions. Again, I have never ordered their cippino (I need to do that as I love cippino) but their various dishes have always been quite good in my opinion. Now as the owner said to my son-in-law who was born, raised and lived in Rome until 12 years ago when he moved here "the dishes are altered for the American taste" but despite that my son-in-law has always enjoyed their food. E Tutto Qua's owner is from Rome. Their food is good also but they don't show cippino on their menu. Their food is adjusted for the American taste also. Mangia!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Each of the three of us have seen BBB at least twice--and I'd hate to tell you the first year! I know what you mean about Italian dishes altered for the American taste. I've been to Italy only twice but love the true Italian cuisine and especially love Rome.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a point, cioppino is not an "authentic" Italian dish; as I understand it -- it is a San Francisco creation.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the history is that the Italians that arrived in San Francisco, many whom were fishermen in Italy, devised what was to become the Ciopinno. It was an inexpensive way to feed their families as most of the immigrants were very hard working but they lived on a very low income. Many went across the bay after the 1906 EQ and settled in the Bay Area.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
** to DebitNM ~ this is *Twice* this week our paths have crossed! Thank you for the Dress Code info about TadichGrill and for mentioning about Sunday closures!!

{their website is under construction}

Many thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ t_c_d -- {their website is under construction}
LOL - it has been under construction since our first trip in 2008!