Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a Cape Cod hotel, inn, or B&B with an outdoor pool open year round?

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a weekend getaway the end of April. Swimming outside all year round I really enjoy, and have gone to many places in northern New England where I can be in a pool outside even in the middle of January.

I would prefer this coming weekend to be in the Cape. I have made a lot of calls today to Chatham Bars Inn, Ocean Edge, Nauset Inn, etc, and no luck. It doesn't really matter what part of the Cape. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Very, very unlikely.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM

I think it is extremely unlikely as well. just curious as to what places you've been to in northern new england that have outdoor pools that are open in january? i don't see how that could be possible given the weather.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Perhaps a hot tub, but outdoor pools in New England are generally covered for the winter. Pumps and other such things must be drained, winterized. Northern New England? It would freeze.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM

If they keep the outdoor pool open all winter, wouldn't it be used by ice skaters?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM

I know what you are talking about, (outdoor heated pool in winter) but nothing on the Cape like that....
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

To name just a few of the hotels with pools that are heated and open all winter long are, Nordic Village in NH, The White Mountain Hotel, The Bethel Inn in Maine, Grand Summit at Attitash, Sunday River, Waterville Valley properties, and others. Anchorage by the Sea in Ogunquit and Wentworth by the Sea outside of Portsmouth NH are just a couple that have huge hot tubs open all year.

Since it is one of my favorite things to do in winter, to be out in a warm pool when the temperatures are cold I have been to many of them. One January I remember it was snowing and my hair was literally freezing as I sat in the pool at night as the decorative white lights around the pool area twinkled in the snow fall - ahhh.

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Yikes, must cost a fortune to heat a pool in Bethel, Maine all winter....I gotta get the Green Police after these establishments, what a waste of energy!

For Cape Cod, try Captain's House Inn in Chatham, or Lion & Lamb Inn in Barnstable, their pools might be open soon.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:24 AM

According to websites of a couple of these places, these are hot tubs, not pools - many places have hot tubs for winter outside - I think we are talking name here.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM

I doubt you could find an outdoor pool open in New England during the winter...hot tubs yes, but no pools.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

"Year round outdoor Heated Pool and Jacuzzi" - White Mountain Hotel website.

"or relax in our year-round outdoor pool and hot tubs." - Grand Summit at Attitash

access to two outdoor (1 seasonal) heated pools and an outdoor therapy spa. - Nordic Village website

Fodorites,
I have no reason to make up that these places have outdoor heated pools open year round. Did you not read in my post that I have been in them. I do know the difference between a hot tub and pool which is why in my post above I have mentioned a couple of places with outdoor hot tubs only. Gail - I just you should check the websites again or better yet call them if you are interested and still don't believe me. I know you are from the Boston area. Just think - if you like the sounds of being out in a heated pool all year, check them out. It's a great time.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Places that are busy in winter, such as ski resorts, might find it economically feasible to heat an outdoor pool, but the Cape slows to a crawl in winter, tourism drops off to a trickle, and apparently there's just not sufficient demand for such a luxury.

Also, places in the North probably have to have heated pools anyway, even to have them open in the summer, so it's not an issue of installation (capital investment), just the incremental cost of operating it.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:43 AM

i still find it hard to believe (though I do believe you!) that there are places in northern new england that keep outdoor pools heated in winter. we have a pool with a heating system and it's costly enough to keep it heated in July!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM

"Swim in the pool that is heated to 92 degrees fareignheit during the winter and 82 degrees for the summer...."

http://www.whitemountainhotel.com/amenities.htm
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM

The Cape has the highest electrical costs in the country. I can't imagine anyone, on Cape Cod, heating a pool in the winter for a few guests! Most of the larger lodging places close down completely (or at least scale way back) and are just now opening.

I am sorry to say that your post amazes me.... It makes me hope that in the future, as a culture, we have enough sense to use our natural resources for more practical things than a dip in a outdoor heated pool in the winter in New England!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Yellowbyrd - is anyone trying to something about electricity costs on the Cape. My Summer electric bills could fund the feeding of a small nation.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Hi seafox...seems to me I read something in the Cape Cod paper about a group from Eastham working to get fairer rates. You could check it out on line at wwwlcapecodonline.com

Since deregulation, the power companies have been gouging like crazy...the transmission costs are more than the cost of the electricity! And then, if you decide to go green and support renewable energy, the cost is even higher. I guess that will not change anytime soon. Those windmills they are talking about will not have much of an impact on the cost of energy on the Cape since the electricity they produce will be shipped around the grid. No wonder many Cape Codders are not excited about windmills in Nantucket Sound!! I say, just put smaller scale windmills on land, up and down the cape, to send the energy where it can be used directly. Do you use AC in the summer? How do you feel about those windmills?
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:36 AM

we stayed at a slopeside condo complex at Sunday river that did, indeed have an indoor-outdoor pool that was kept heated year round. It was half inside, near the sauna's, and had a glass wall above the water, so you could swim to the outdoor portion of the pool. While it was warm, it wasn't exactly toasty. The idea was you sat in the sauna, then plunged into the cold pool, swam a lap outside into the cold air, then back inside into the sauna, then repeat. The hot/cold/hot/cold combo just makes the muscles melt, and not get stiff or sore. Its actually really nice.

but I do think you are more likely ro find these at ski resorts which are busy in the winter time. I don't think they would do it on the cape.

I do know a b&b on Martha's Vineyard with an outdoor hot tub, available all winter...just can't remember the name. Its in Edgartown.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Juldie, tell it like it is. Neo, strap on those ice skates!!!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Juldie,
Aren't the pools at Anchorage/Ogunquit and Wentworth/Portsmouth indoor?
My mom uses the Anchorage pool during the winter. It would be a cold day in hell before mom would do a polar plunge.

If you're looking for indoor pools down the Cape there's a few.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -