Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is the Oregon coast very cold in September? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-the-oregon-coast-very-cold-in-september-243895/)

max Jul 28th, 2002 04:37 PM

Is the Oregon coast very cold in September?

I looked at the Weather Channel stats for the Oregon coast in September,and it looks like the average highs are in the mid-60s and the average lows are in the mid-40s. However, I just read on this site and heard from someone who was there that it can seem much colder. <BR>How windy and cold is the coast in mid-September.

xxx Jul 29th, 2002 01:33 PM

Personally, I don't think that the Oregon coast is ever very warm...can't imagine swimming in September. But if you're going for the scenery, it's a pretty time of year for Oregon.

d-dog Jul 29th, 2002 01:34 PM

It can be down to the low 60's or even colder, especially in the latter half of September.<BR><BR>Don't count on swimming there - it's not really a swimming place.

xxx Jul 29th, 2002 03:35 PM

Yes, its true, the OR coast is not what people typically think of when they think of beaches:) It does get cold and windy...and feels much colder than it is...but the OR coast is also very beautiful! One of those places that you must go see at least once.

Bob Brown Jul 29th, 2002 05:17 PM

One of the funniest sights I have seen on a beach occurred at Newport Oregon.<BR>A young girl, all decked out in her Southern California finest (virtually unclad, not that I objected) approached the water. The wind was blowing about 25 - 30 mph, and the water along that stretch of ocean is not the warmest I have ever felt. A wave splashed her good, and she retreated screaming, goosebumps and all, to her motel door.<BR>I think her desire to swim was suddenly reduced by a considerable factor.<BR><BR>I would not go swimming along that coast unless I had on a wet suit that was designed for the Arctic.<BR>

oregonian Jul 29th, 2002 05:41 PM

All of the above are true. Nonetheless, September is just about the nicest time to visit the Oregon Coast. I've had consistently good weather there in September, including a couple of weekends when the temps were in the '80s (very unusual for the coast). "Good weather" for the Oregon coast means not raining and not too windy.

max Jul 29th, 2002 09:23 PM

But will it be so cold and windy that we'll need a pretty heavy jacket, like a ski jacket liner, or should a sweater and thin jacket be enough on the beach during the day.

lcuy Jul 29th, 2002 09:30 PM

Windbreaker and sweater should be fine in the day. At night you can just layer on another sweater or put on a thicker rain jacket. The wind and damp (or rain) are what bother you at the oregon coast...The temperatures are not all that cold in themselves.

Marion Jul 29th, 2002 11:12 PM

As people have already stated, it's the WIND which makes the beaches here in Oregon quite chilly most of the year. Sometimes that wind really whips too and blows sand at about mid calf level. The key is always layering on the coast....not one bulky coat but layers of clothes and be sure the top layer is windproof like a windbreaker as that can really help.

x Jul 30th, 2002 06:44 AM

the oregon coast is SOOOOO beautiful.