Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the Four Seasons in Maui worth it for first time visitors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 12:10 PM
Elizabeth Oldroyd

My husband and I are planning a one-week trip (a honeymoon five years late!) to Hawaii within the next year. We're both in our late twenties, no kids, and are fairly athletic. Since we're not avid golfers, I'd rather not spend the money on a beautiful resort with an "award winning" golf course. Although money is not a huge issue, we don't need to spend over $1,000 per night. I've been told that the Four Seasons is gorgeous, has great service and will have minimal families. Is it worth the extra money for a romantic, pamper-yourself first-time Hawaiian vacation? If not, other recommendations? And when is the best time to go?

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 04:04 PM
Jen

Well...what exactly are you looking for in a resort? I think that has a lot to do with it. From what I have heard...yes. My husband and I are going in July...as first time visitors.

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 04:08 PM
Jen

Elizabeth, My husband and I are also in our late 20's and are planning a trip to the Four Seasons in July. This vacation is far from budget but is much less than 1,000 per night (including car, air, and ocean view room). I've been told wonderful things about it. We figured that since we're flying halfway across the world, and don't have the expense of kids,this would be the best time to go and the best way to go...Good luck!

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 04:14 PM
annemarie

actually I think I voiced my opinion jon this property on this forum below. I sent someone there in October for their honeymoon and they said this property made their time in Maui. Read Frommers Maui description of it and read its description in Best Places to Stay in Hawaii. Read Zagats survey book and the January issue of Conde Nast ratings. I think you have made a good choice. Annemarie

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 08:50 AM
Bob

My wife and I were there last summer for five days. The resort is exceptional all-around. Since it was summertime and schools were out, there were some families with children, but it was not an issue as far as being distracting. The guests ranged from twentysomething couples and families to retirees. All in all, I would recommend it highly. Food, service, facilities, etc. were all very good.

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Roger

Going to Maui on honeymoon the end of April and will be staying at the Four Seasons. After much research, I have only heard the highest praise for the hotel. As far as the time of year is concerned, rates are typically lower after May 1 with the inclusion of a fifth night free (this may not apply during August when there might be more kids). Another factor to consider when deciding on a hotel is the weather. The Wailea area where the Four Seasons is located seems to get the least rain on the Island which may be important (as opposed to the Ritz which I have heard can be windier and get more rain). In terms of activities, another factor to consider is the fact that there are a number of things that are complimentary at the Four Seasons that might cost money elsewhere. These include two tennis courts and equipment, one hour use of snorkel equipment daily, and the covered tent-like things at the pool and beach ($35 a day next door at the Kea Lani). Thinking about paying for these things is something that I would rather not do on my honeymoon. The Four Seasons does have great golf courses, but I think that is probably true for most high end resorts in Hawaii. Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 05:51 PM
david hariton

The main point about Maui is not to spend all your time on the boring west coast where all the resorts are. Hana (the east coast) is incredible--everything you dreamed Hawaii would be--surf crashing through blowholes, green plants on black lava, flowers growing over anything abandoned, groves of waving bamboo, waterfalls, purple and orange hillsides, beautiful hikes (check out the 7 sacred pools), etc. You can stay at the Hana Maui resort for the same price as a West Coast resort, the latter being to the former what Las Vegas is to, say, Zion National Park. Nevertheless, if you must stay on the West Coast (and you'll want to do this for at least a day or two), the 4 Seasons is probably the best for adults--perfect service in an elegant setting--very sybaritic. Be sure to visit the monstrosity next door (the Grand Wailea) with miles of fake pools and $30 million worth of awful Botero statues. Be sure to go to the "upcountry" (i.e, on the way up to the Volcano) and to Io state park in the Northwest.

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 07:47 AM
Jon

Just to throw in an opposing viewpoint, so that you will have the cons as well as the pros of the Four Seasons:
That hotel is very upscale and formal and quiet. My wife and I much prefer the Grand Wailea next door, with its beautiful and elaborate pools, waterslides, gardens, artwork, and large modern rooms.
Furthermore, you should also consider West Maui (Kaanapali Beach), which is more lush and green and beautiful than the dry Wailea area. The Hyatt, or Sheraton are good choices in the West Maui area. The Four Seasons and the Grand are NOT on the west coast, but are merely on the west side of Haleakala (the east half of Maui).

LOTS more info about Maui hotels, restaurant suggestions, activities, sights, etc, is in a 30-page Maui info paper that you can read or print from this web site:
http://members.aol.com/Derm1/index.html

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 12:42 PM
richard turk

my wife and I (mid-40's) have spent our last two Maui trips over the past two years at Four Seasons, Wailea. The service and amenities are incomparable. 5th night is free and generally you will be upgraded even if you book a garden-view room (approx $350/day). Grand Wailea next door is a monstrosity. Many guest leave there after a day or so and transfer to Four Seasons.(we met at least seven parties who did so). Celebs are frequent guests too. Last trip in Oct '98 saw Arnold/Maria Schwartznegger and family with entourage.
You are totally pampered around the pool with constant spritz' and ice-water. Staff goes overboard to make your stay a real treat. We plan to return annually. (a short jaunt from the west coast)...

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 03:52 PM
Jennifer

On the last post, David says that the upgrade at the 4 Seasons is done frequently. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I'm going this summer and would love to take advantage of an upgrade. Also, I know that there are a few restaurants, but what about a poolside bar or lounge? Thanks for the info.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 06:07 PM
Harold

What should my wife and I wear to dinner at this hotel? Will be there in May