Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is The Drowsy Chaperone good and are these good seats?

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone seen this show? It seems to have won lots of awards. Is this one of those shows that is better seen from the Mezzanine? Or would Orchstera seats Row D 4-6 (to the side) be OK? Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM

It's a delightful show. Seats D4-6 are okay, but if you can get front mezzanine, I'd go for those instead.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM

I'm the original "take front row mezzanine first" guy, but the Marquis is one theatre where the mezzanine starts much further back than most Broadway theatres. Row D is actually the 5th or 6th row, and being only the second and third seats off the aisle in the side, I'd actually take those over the others. I saw the show from about the 6th or 7th row and loved the facial expressions and being close. First row mezzanine is like 14 rows back and those are deep rows as well.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Patrick, though the mezzanine is further back at the Marquis, still we sat in the first row for The Drowsy Chaperone and thought the seats were great!
Actually, I think the OP would be satisfied with either option.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. I also usually think Mezzanine is good, but this is what's available for our date. I think I'll take them. I appreciate the information.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM

We saw The Drowsy Chaperone a couple of weeks ago, and absoloutely loved it! My face hurt from smiling and laughing so much by the time it was over. Be forewarned - there is no intermission, so make sure you go to the bathroom before it starts.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Can anyone tell me when Sutton Foster is leaving the show to begin working on Young Frankenstein? Thank you Patrick for alerting us to her new role. I'm planning to see Drowsy Chaperone in mid-April.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Sutton Foster is expected to leave soon, but the exact date hasn't been announced.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM

The only reference I've seen to her leaving was that she is "expected to leave this spring when her contract is up".
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Drowsy Chaperone doesn't have discounts available in April when we are in NY but there is some for Hairspray. Is this a good show and where would be the best seats for this theatre.

Thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM

I am always amused by the advice that seats farther away from the stage are preferred to those closer to the stage.

I spent the first ten years of my theatergoing in the second balcony and now prefer to sit much closer to the stage.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:25 PM

happytrailstoyou, I too was raised on second balcony seats. However, now that I can afford better seats, I still am not convinced that closer is always better. Give me the front mezzanine almost every time. For example, if I have a choice of first row orchestra or first row front mezzanine, I'll take the latter any time!
Why does this amuuse you?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Hairspray is a fun show. The best tickets? Your chances of getting them are slim using a discount offer. However, you possibly can get decent center orchestra of somewhere in the front mezzanine.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Theatremania.com has a discount for Drowsy Chaperone good through the end of April, although there are a few dates blocked out Easter week. Is that when you are there?

Happytrails, while I love being close, there are a number of shows I agree I'd rather be back further for -- particularly large major choreographed shows. For example a 42nd Street can not be fully appreciated from the first couple of rows in my opinion. First row mezzanine of any theatre would be preferable to me for that. On the other hand I LOVED sitting in the first row orchestra for the recent revival of Sweeney Todd. Second balcony is another matter entirely, and I can't imagine when if ever I'd actually choose that.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM

Patrick and I are in total agreement. We reluctantly bought seats in the second row for Sweeney Todd and were very pleasantly surprised at how great the experience of being that close to the performers in that show were.
How lucky you are, Patrick, never to have experienced sitting in the second balcony at the Shubert Theater in New Haven! Oh, that long, long climb up the stairs! How well I remember the first time my parents bought tickets in first balcony. "Hey, we're rich," I thought!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:55 AM

Well I do remember by first time at the Marquis Theatre (where Drowsey Chaperone is now) when it was quite new -- for Me and My Girl. I had bought top price tickets -- in those days Tickemaster never told you where you were sitting, you took what they gave you. So I was shocked when we arrived, picked up our tickets in will call, and found our seats in the very last row of the balcony. I told an usher I thought there was a mistake, but she insisted that since they were in the center -- they were still top price tickets. Only a handful of side sections of balcony had any lowered price. I think we saw a show that night -- somewhere off in the distance, miles below us.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM

Perhaps my point of view is corrupted by several memorable evenings in the theater sitting in the first row: Joan Sutherland in "La Traviata," Angela Lansbury in "Mame," Christian Slater and Edie Falco in "Side Man," and Cherry Jones in "The Heiress" to name a few.

I lucked out because "better" seats weren't available.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM

happytrailstoyou, what I take exception to is the implication in your comment that the closer you are to the stage is always better. My point is that's not always the case.
Yes, I have been in the front row and have had memorable experiences because of it. I clearly remember the joy of actually conversing with Larry Kert from my front-row seat during a performance of Side by Side with Sondheim.
However, I also remember sitting in the balcony for a repeat visit to Ragtime and remembering the incredible experience of viewing that fantastic opening scene for afar.
Like life itself, there are very few absolutes when one talks about theatrical experiences!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM

"Like life itself, there are very few absolutes when one talks about theatrical experiences!"

So true. And for me personally, although I might be thrilled seeing Joan Sutherland in La Traviata from the front row, I feel certain that my TOTAL appreciation of a full scale production of La Traviata would never be realized until I saw the entire thing from a much greater distance than the front row! My eyes just aren't that wide to take it all in at once from so close.
Side Man from the front row, however? Perfection.