Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the area of lincoln park in brooklyn a safe area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won two tickets from my employer last year to the us and just wanted to know whether or not the area of lincoln park in brooklyn is a safe area. Will be travelling there with my 12 year old daughter shortly, but do not know the area at all.

Last time we went into a big urban area was London in 2005 and we got caught right in the middle of the london bombings. Thus, I would like to show my daughter that city life is pretty cool and very interesting, but wanted to make sure that the area is relatively safe for mum and daughter to travel around freely!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM

I am quite familiar with Brooklyn - but never heard of a "Lincoln Park". There is a Lincoln Terrace Park located in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn - not a particularly attractive area. As a visitor, I wonder what brings you to this area. You don't mean,by any chance - Prospect Park?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Could be, area code is 11232. Hubbie has family there who have assured me that area is ok, but what exactly that means, I do not know!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

oops think it is 11213
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM

I am a true Brooklynite, I googled the zip code code and jroth is right it is Crown Heights, many very Orthodox Jews live there. I wouldn't think of this area when visiting NY, not really what I think of when I think NYC. Not a lot going for this area. Google Crown Heights and see what you think.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM

Exactly what type of tickets did you win?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

If you google: area code 11213 Brooklyn - you will get a few hits describing this area.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I won two tickets to either NY, Miami or Toronto and chose NY as we wanted to do some shopping and check out the museums and such.

My husbands aunt has lived in the area for a couple of years and says that she hasn't experienced any problems - but since I moved to Bim from London, England I have gotten too used to the easy and non-aggressive life style of the West Indies! You should check out Barbados - WICKED lifestyle!

Only really wanted a base to operate from with easy access into Manhattan and downtown shopping areas. Have also got a friend who lives at Avenue l, 86th Street - Is that a better area to stay?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Is that Avenue "I" and 86 Street in Brooklyn or First Avenue and 86th Street in Manhattan.

There is a huge West Indian population in Brooklyn. Why don't you come Labor Day Weekend and be part of the West Indies Festical, Brooklyn style?

New York lifestyle is very, very different from the Islands, Very different.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Brooklyn and can't get away for Labor Day Weekend due to workload. Am lucky to be getting away at all this year 'cos if my boss had his way i would live, sleep and breathe work - fuh real
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM

The area you noted in Crown Heights - somewhat lower income level neighborhood - should be perfectly safe for a stay - near subway and about a half hour or so into midtown. Ave I and 86 Street are in two different neighborhoods. Ave. I is in the Midwood section - more upscale and some quite nice middle and upper middle income housing. 86 Street is in the Bensonhurst section and into Bay Ridge - also quite middle income -- all are safe for a stay.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM

She probably meant Ave I and EAST 86 St.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM

There is no intersection of Ave. I with E. 86 St. in Brooklyn -- Ave. I does not extend that far east.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

That was avenue L and 86th Street in Canarsie, Brooklyn but will probably stay in Lincoln Terrace Park area as want to be close to transportation links. Jroth, thank you so much for your help - my daughter is feeling alot better about going now! NYC here I come!!!!!!!!!