Is the air in your hometown smoggy today? It sure is bad in Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
Bruce

AIR POLLUTION ALERT CODE RED!!!

Here in Washington DC, the air pollution has been especially bad this summer. The smog and haze is terrible! I was told much of the blame goes to the number of trucks, SUVs and mini vans that are on the road now days.

How is the air pollution in your home town today? Is there anyplace left that one can see more than a few miles without all the haze and pollution?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:38 AM
gail

Air quality in Boston is "unhealthy". We are advised not to breathe.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
DC Resident

Bruce,

I heard Code Purple while commuting in this morning-one heat index higher than Code Red. I didn't even know a Code Purple existed.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:54 AM
nyerhackhack

NY also

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:56 AM
Jennifer

Bad in Boston area too. PLease report in from places where the air is crisp and clear to make us feel better!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
NC'er

We have Code Orange today -- won't be as bad as y'all up north because we're having afternoon tropical "pop-up" thunderstorms, so we won't go above 95 (rarely do) but it'll be humid. However, we won't suffer because we have AC everywhere -- while N'Yokkahs and Bawstonians refuse to admit they ever get heat, so they don't air condition places.

And just so we pay attention to our own role in these pollution alerts -- it's not just the thermal inversion, it's the cars and, in the case of NC, the coal-burning power plants west of us and Atlanta's cars south west of us.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:23 AM
Broodha

DC is disgusting today. I thought I was going to pass out on my way to work. There must be something we can do - this is getting out of hand. You shouldn't have to barricade yourself indoors in the summertime.

Carpool! Take public transportation!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:33 AM
Suzy

Here in Boston, it's shaping up as a really disgusting day. The sky was blue for an hour, earlier, but now at 9:30 AM it's already gray and will probably stay that way. Yuck!

The one consolation I have is that my upstairs doesn't get as hot on smoggy or cloudy days as it does on clear days when the sun beats down on the slanted roof. . . . Yes, I'm grasping at straws.