Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Priceline the only site to bid on hotel rooms? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-priceline-the-only-site-to-bid-on-hotel-rooms-271034/)

Fedup Nov 5th, 2002 07:35 AM

Is Priceline the only site to bid on hotel rooms?

I'd like to try another company with a more reliable rating system for it's resorts. Priceline's rating system for resorts is a joke - it's non existent. Thanks.

Arnie Nov 5th, 2002 08:00 AM

I can't say for sure since I've never done it before, but have you looked at ebay.com? You can bid on anything there! This is where I've had my biggest success with theater tickets, condo rentals, even bid and got first class upgrade certificates when we flew to Europe once. Was that nice! I'd look there....seems like they have EVERYTHING from soup to nuts as they say.

Gretchen Nov 5th, 2002 08:19 AM

Hotwire

engishteacher Nov 5th, 2002 10:21 AM

Fedup -- just a small helpful hint.<BR>It's means &quot;it is&quot;.<BR>Its is the possessive form of it.

Welcoming Nov 5th, 2002 10:43 AM

Fedup,<BR><BR>Let me be the first to welcome you from your decade long sabatical on the face of Venus! I am glad to see you have discovered the new mode of communication we call the internet. With time, you will become more proficient and knowledgable with its various functions, including, but not limited to the search engine. Utilizing this function will allow you to type in a key word, such as &quot;Bid on Hotels&quot;, and get a wealth of resources without distrubing anybody. Best of luck, and again welcome back!

Ted Nov 5th, 2002 10:48 AM

Fedup,<BR>I share your frustration...been there with priceline as well! I would also mention ebay.com as a good bidding site for any type of lodging. I've used hotwire.com as well but this is not a &quot;bidding&quot; site based on your posting request. I like hotwire very much because you see and know the price etc. before committing or giving your credit card. Ebay.com is another excellent site and unlike priceline.com you can bid as often as you wish without restricting you to wait a required amount of days etc.

Fedup Nov 5th, 2002 10:59 AM

Welcoming, Sorry to disturb you, but apparently you weren't so disturbed to be given the opportunity to respond with a sarcastic and useless post.<BR><BR>I'm very familiar with the search engine, search function and all of their perambulations. I still haven't found any sites that allow bidding for hotels other than Priceline. So thanks, Welcome, for nothing.<BR><BR>And Ted, thanks, I'll take a look at Ebay, I didn't realize they sold hotel rooms.<BR>

Owen O'Neill Nov 5th, 2002 03:53 PM

I use Priceline all the time and agree that their rating system for resorts is terrible - I use it only for regular hotel rooms and generally bid on 4*, occasionally on 3*. I'm sure there may be a few disappointments in store for me but so far I've had good luck. I would never use them for bidding on a resort. I'm personally a bit leery of buying things on EBay if there's a significant $$ value involved. You are not buying &quot;from EBay&quot; - you're buying from individuals who post thigns for sale on EBay. If you get ripped off or sold something that is not what it was represented to be, you may have little recourse. It might be worth checking some of the last minute travel sites for deals if that can fit with your available schedule. I've heard of people getting great deals on some of them (I've looked at www.site59.com and was unimpressed but there are supposed to be others that are better).

Pricelinehas Nov 6th, 2002 03:50 AM

I have to wonder, how do people have hotel rooms for sale on Ebay? Anyway, it doesn't seem that there are any other hotel bidding sites other than Priceline. No wonder they don't need to do it right, no competition. What gives?

William Nov 6th, 2002 05:57 AM

I have found (and actually bid/won) lodging on ebay but it wasn't necessarily at a hotel. I stayed at the Manhattan Club in NYC once (through ebay). This is a timeshare and the owner was only using 4 of their nights. They put the remaining 3 nights on ebay and I bid/won. It worked out perfect for us since this was all we needed. There are mostly resorts on ebay (condos) in such areas as Hawaii, Calif.,Fla., Caribbean, Mexico etc.I do see hotel rooms sometimes on ebay but not that often. I recall some being more like certificates that you bid and win which entitles the bearer to say 3 nights between certain dates etc. Once you get the certificate, then you call the hotel and book directly with the hotel. I personally like hotwire a lot. I (like others have mentioned) just don't feel comfortable giving my credit card info before I even make a bid. I'd rather know the price first, then decide yea or nay.