Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Mid-March a good time to visit the Grand Canyon South Rim?

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of adults planning a trip to Grand Canyon South Rim in mid March. We would like to do some hiking (not a lot), and sight seeing. What can we expect for weather and road conditions? We will be coming from a cold climate (Wisconsin) to visit friends in Phoenix, and talked about doing this as a side trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM

In March we'd typically get one or two snowstorms passing over the south rim, usually 1-2 day fast moving systems. This is great for viewing the canyon, the snow adds to the beauty, but of course the hassle is if you have to drive on icy roads, which are typically cleared within a day (sometimes two days).

As for hiking, great time to hike because the extreme summer heat in the interior is not an issue, but usually there is a bit of snow and ice on the shaded switchbacks on the upper Kaibab and Bright Angel trails (the top seven switchbacks on Kaibab are shaded and often icy in the morning, for example). Once you carefully pick your way down a couple hundred feet then the hiking is good. Usually the mule hooves have chopped up the ice so you can find steps to pick your way.

You can rent step-in crampons at the General Store for a couple of bucks, if the trails appear too icy near the top.

The normal pattern is for the snow/ice to melt and get slushy when the temps heat up in the afternoon, then freeze solid at night, so early AM hiking is when you are most likely to find the tops of the trails slick.

March is one of the best months to visit Phoenix, with beautiful weather and major league baseball's spring training in full session. Great time to visit the canyon if you can avoid driving on the snow and ice.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM

I make an annual trip to Flagstaff in mid-March and often head up to the South Rim while I'm there. Although the area certainly can get snow at that time of year, I've had clear, dry roads many more times than I have not. In most cases, the days have been sunny, causing me to remove one layer after another, but the nights are chilly.

The Canyon is dramatically beautiful with a dusting of snow.