Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Maui right for someone who hates highrise hotels & crowded beaches??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're hoping to spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for our next vacation with 1 week in Kauai and a second on one of the other islands--probably either Maui or the Big Island. From the guidebooks and what I've read here it sounds like the BI is quieter, but I like the fact that Maui is more compact and has more activities. The problem is, we really hate crowded beaches, traffic, highrises, etc.

Here's my question. Is it possible to stay in a nice, centrally located area (we don't want to spend a whole week in Hana) and still avoid crowds/traffic/overdevelopment, or should we just forget Maui and go to the BI instead? We were tentatively thinking about the Napili area in October.

Thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I'm not sure that Maui has more activities than the BI does, anyhow I would spend the whole time on Kauai.
-Bill
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Napili is a good choice - most hotels are one to two stories. Napili & neighboring Kapalua have beautiful beaches and are not as congested as the Kaanapali/Lahaina area.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Maui: you say you want a central location with lots of activities around, but you don't want traffic or overdevelopment. That eliminates Maui.
Kaanapali is the hub of activity, but is crowded and 'overdeveloped' as far as Hawaii goes IMO. Wailea is not nearly as crowded, no high rises, but you'd have to drive for many of the island's activities and you'd spend time in at least some traffic. Hana is too remote for someone who wants lots of activities.

The Big Island is your best bet next to Kauai. Plenty to see and do. Driving is required, distances can be relatively long depending on where you stay, but it's not crowded and traffic is not an issue worth mentioning.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Blacktie

Traffic? Highrises? Crowded beaches? Maui? LOL, you jest.

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I het highrises and crowded beaches. This is why I live on Maui and no in southern California. Kaanapali is just a small area on Maui, which I also avoid becasue of the traffic and crowds.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Blacktie

Hotels in Ka'anapali, equals "crowds" at entrances, pool, grounds. And people leaving and arriving in cars. Six-ten floor "high rises." It's all a matter of keeping things in perspective. If you get ansy near the hordes at a Marriott in any US city, then Maui isn't for you.

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Kahana/Honokawai
Small condo buildings, smaller beaches, not as many people as kaanapali. Buildings are closer to the water. Stayed at the nohonani. Bedroom was 20 feet from the water. I believe only 19 units in the bldg.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:30 PM

We just returned from a week in Maui; I hate crowds and high rises and didn't suffer! Kaanapali/Lahaina is the only area we encountered too much traffic and there were more people at our pool than on the beach.

Waikiki was horribly crowded and full of high rises, so don't ask me why, but we all loved it. Go figure. Trip report formulating.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Someone inclined toward a Kauai-type environment and who "really hates" crowds and traffic is likely to be turned off by Kaanapali IMO. Wailea is more of a toss up, but most people who stay in Wailea and want to sample Maui's typical tourist activities will have to drive in toward Kaanapali a couple times. That drive is not Los Angeles gridlock, but aside from Honolulu it has Hawaii's most crowded roads and at least a couple times a day the traffic is pretty slow.
It's all relative. But the touristy parts of Maui are not the sleepy little beachfront hamlets they were 30 years ago.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM

AI've been going to Maui and the BI regularly for 25 years, and yes, I think Maui, particularly the Kaanapali, Kapalua area is getting pretty crowded. Not necessaraly the beaches, except for the kaanapali area, but if you have to drive its really bad. I like the Keihi area, as it is really much less crowded but you do have to drive if you want to go to Lahaina or Whalers village etc.

The drive from the airport to lahaina is really getting bad, particularly at "rush hour". It took us 2 1/2 hours the evening of July 3 as the local traffic and the tourist traffic sort of collided in a perfect storm. There are just mroe people than roads, and the cost of adding roads would be enormous.

I personally think the BI is a more relaxing experience, but the traffic is starting to get bad there also.

Sign of the times I suppose, I wish I could afford Lanai.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Stay in Kauai-very nice....-Maui is nice but so-so in crowd-we stayed at Napili very nice-you can't go wrong-enjoy!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Traffic on Honoapi`ilani on July 3rd was snarled because the pedestrian button was stuck on a traffic light at Launiupoko, causing the light to cycle continuously. It had just been instaled and it took a while to work out the bugs.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:29 AM
tmh

Last time we were in Maui we avoided the 'crowds' by staying at a B&B at the foot of Mt Haleakala (called Upcountry if I remember correctly). Woke to roosters crowing, cool temps and a short ride to Polli's.