Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is MAMMOTH LAKES worth a stop between YOSEMITE and SAN DIEGO??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Mammoth Lakes Basin, nor to Yosemite. Please give me your experienced opinion. I am planning our first 3-generation family trip for the end of June 2011. I have already booked a house in Yosemite West for 5 nights through scenic wonders. We are excited to explore Yosemite!

We will drive from San Diego to Yosemite via the south entrance, at the end of June.

But on the way home...I am hoping we can exit Yosemite via the eastern route...over Tioga Pass. We could take our time and site-see along the way. Then we could spend 2 nights at Mammoth Lakes Basin area. Maybe at Tamarack Lodge on the shores of Twin Lakes?

What do you think of this plan? Is Mammoth Lakes area a worthy detour? Is it nice at the end of June?

Tamarack Lodge has a strict cancellation policy...so if the eastern route to exit Yosemite is closed at the end of June...I'm not sure we could get to Tamarack Lodge in Mammoth Lakes Basin.

Tamarack Lodge seems appealing as its on a lovely lake in a quiet area...although its slightly more than I wanted to pay...I like the location. Has anyone stayed there?

Thanks!!! We like nature, walks, scenery, and 1 of us likes fishing...and my grandbaby will only be 2 years old in June. Woo-hoo! Family vacation here we come!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll have to ask us around mid May -- no one will know how clearing Tioga Pass is going until about then.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

janisj: Thanks for your reply. I do understand that I won't know til May or June when Tioga Pass will actually open. But nevertheless, I'd still like to research our trip.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on which places make good overnight stops between Yosemite and San Diego, assuming that we are fortunate and the Tioga Pass is open? We'd prefer to take the scenic route home to San Diego.

If we are unlucky and the Tioga Pass is closed, we will resort to plan "B". ("B" for boring! )
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM

We stay a week in Mammoth most summers. I think Mammoth is fantastic. In heavy snow years Mammoth does have some access issues to some of the sights. You'd really want to be able to see Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls - two great spots.

Also a visit to all the lakes, a bit of fishing or just rent a motor or row boat and spend an afternoon on one of the lakes. Very fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM

We always enjoy the drive down the Eastern Sierra--I hope the pass is open.

Another possibility is to drive to San Diego via Kings Canyon NP and Sequoia NP and/or
to drive over to the coast and drive down Highway 1 (which I highly recommend if you haven't done it).

HTTY
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM

My son stayed 3 nights at Tamarack Lodge and enjoyed it. They have a great restaurant there. We loved our stay at The Westin Monache, Mammoth is a beautiful area to spend time in! ***kim***
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Highly recommend Convict Lake.

http://www.convictlake.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas! 8-)

Bisbeee: Thanks for the link... Convict Lake is mentioned in my book but there weren't any details about it.

kimamom: Good to know your son enjoyed Tamarack Lodge at Mammoth Lakes area. It sounds great although they have a strict cancellation policy, so I would have to wait to hear when Tioga Pass etc. will open before booking Tamarack Lodge... That's a tricky one to plan. But I LOVE the idea of staying in a quiet area on a lake. I'm glad to hear your opinion that Mammoth is beautiful too.

happytrailstoyou: I did wonder about driving home to San Diego from Yosemite via Kings Canyon & Sequoia National Parks... I just find that a bit confusing to figure out the route, and how far out of the way it would be in terms of drive time. We will have 2 cars on the trip home, and my daughter will have a 2-year-old in the car! So we are trying to make the trips home as relaxing as possible. But we could spend 1 or 2 nights somewhere along the route home.

Suzie: Where do you recommend staying at Mammoth Lakes? Our 3-generation family will include our 2-year-old grandbaby.

Staying in Bishop or Lone Pine would also be practical...just to break up the drive home from Yosemite to San Diego. But I thought perhaps Mammoth Lakes would be a more scenic spot. I'm trying to decide what's best for the whole family.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM

There are many, many condo rentals in Mammoth, and late June would be low season (ski season is high season). Have you tried looking at those?
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM

We always stay in a condo cuz the kids andDH do like a pool in the summer and a jacuzzi in winter. Here is a list of the places we've stayed:

Juniper Springs - love it. Have stayed at least 1/2 dozen times.

Mammoth Greens - Right on Sierra Star golf course. Have stayed here at least 4 times. Stayed in a 3 bedroom once right above the pool.

Sunstone - Kind of like Juniper Springs. Stayed 2 or 3 times

Monache - will nickle & dime you to death but no doubt about it, nice.

The Summit - ok.

Austria Hof - Ok for over night but not for a group.

We always stay in a condo cuz the kids andDH do like a pool in the summer and a jacuzzi in winter. Here is a list of the places we've stayed:

Mammoth Greens - Right on Sierra Star golf course. Have stayed here at least 4 times. Stayed in a 3 bedroom once right above the pool.

The Summit - ok.

The Summit - ok.

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Oh my. Fodors is crazy tonight. Why would it post 3 times?
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
cuz you really REALLY REALLY wanted Melissa to pay attention
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM

I'd do Mammoth and Tamarack is agreat place...End of June Tioga should be open. Park and CalTrans try to open by Memorial Day, but it doesn't always happen. If you opt for Bishop or Lone Pine, there's a nice Best Western so the south side of Lone Pine with scenic views.
If you have time check out Schats Bakery in Bishop, great baked goods. Ok food. Seasons in Lone Pine gets excellent restaurant reviews, not sure if open for lunch or just dinner.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM

You said three generations. I'd take into consideration the height of Mammoth Lakes. I had minor breathing problems at a very-high-up there condo we stayed in.