Search

Is Mackinac Island as dog friendly as it looks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
maj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Mackinac Island as dog friendly as it looks

Mackinac Island appears to be very dog friendly. Our dog is always on a leash, medium size and with us at all times (we don't leave him in the room, and we eat at carryouts or places with outside tables that allow dogs.) I can only find one place on the Island where dogs can stay, Great Turtle Lodge. We have never been in that area, so are wondering if we would be better off staying off the Island and doing a day trip. (if so, where is a good place to stay)
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:32 AM

How is your dog around other animals? I traveled almost everywhere with my dog, but not to the Island because he tended to bark at horses.

I don't know is current this is, but it will give you a start:

Pet friendly hotels in Mackinaw City:
Econo Lodge 712 S. Huron 877-424-6423 : 15.00/night per pet (limit: 2 pets/room).
Econo Lodge At The Bridge 412 N. Nicolet St 877-424-6423 : No charge but only dogs allowed and they cannot be left unattended.
Holiday Inn Express Mackinaw City 364 Louvingney 1-877-508-1786 Small dogs under 30lbs allowed on the 1st floor. Pets not to be left unattended. Kennels available nearby.
Hawthorn Suites 720 South Huron Street 231-436-5929 Pets accepted. Please call for specific policy.
Super 8 Motel 601 N. Huron Avenue 231-436-5252 Less than 10lbs, must be confined
The Beach House 11490 W. Us 23 231-436-5353 Fee: $10. All pets welcome up to 50 lbs. Dogs must be leashed and barking controlled.
Val-Ru Motel14394 N. Mackinaw Hwy. 231-436-7691 : $5 per day per pet. All sizes welcome. Credit card deposit. Must pick up after pets. : Large run area for pets.

Also allow some pets, but no details provided:
Affordable Inns Of America 206 N. Nicolet Street 231-436-8961
Beachcomber Motel On The Water 1011 S. Huron Drive 231-436-8451
Budget Host Mackinaw City 517 N. Huron Drive 231-436-5543
Capri Motel 801 S. Nicolet Drive 231-436-5498
Downing's Downtown Motor Inn 202 E. Central Avenue 231-436-5528
Kings Inn 1020 S. Nicolet Street 231-436-5322
La Mirage Motel 699 N. Huron Street 231-436-5304
Starlite Budget Inns 116 Old Us 31 231-436-5959
Surf Motel 907 S. Huron Street 231-436-8831
Vin-Del Motel 223 W. Central Avenue 231-436-5273
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
maj
Original Poster

Thanks Keith.

Although the pet friendly web sites make it appear that dogs are allowed most places (ferries,trails etc.), I can't find any references to people actually taking their dogs, except for a couple of reviews on TA. He also weighs more than 30 pounds, so the information you gave me is very helpful (didn't see it on some of the web sites -- like Holiday Inn Express). Also, he is fine around other dogs, but probably would bark at horses.

We were looking for someplace else within reasonable driving distance to take him with us. Usually end up in the hills and mountains of NC, Ky,Ohio and Indiana. We don't take him to National Parks where dogs aren't allowed on the trails. I'm thinking that Mackinac Island may be a trip just for us humans after all.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hi,
The great turtle lodge closed years ago. For pet friendly lodging, try www.missionpoint.com, www.sunsetcondos.com and www.harborplacestudiosuites.com. They are all on the Island. Its way better to stay on the Island than off.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Oh, one last site with great dog resources on Mackinac is www.mackinacislanddogandponyclub.com
Peace.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
maj
Original Poster

Thanks mjmemm. I've saved the sites.

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
maj
Original Poster

We finally took a last minute trip to Mackinac Island with our dog the first week in October. We arrived Sunday evening. I called the night before and got reservations at the Holiday Inn Express in Mackinaw City. Although I had seen on one of their websites that they only allowed dogs under 30 pounds, they told me that size didn't matter and there was no extra charge for him. We did have to stay on the first floor which we preferred with him anyway. I was very impressed with the hotel. It had all the amenities we needed, was clean, everyone was friendly and it had a very good breakfast buffet. It was a short walk (about 2 blocks) to the shore area which was great. The only drawback was that it was right next to the Mackinac Bridge which may be a problem for some. We could hear the traffic at times, but it wasn't a problem for us. If noise like that bothers you, ask for a room at the other end of the hotel.

We didn't see any eating places that had outside areas where we could take him, but all had carryout available. There were other dogs walking around on leashes also (not in the stores of course). At that time of year (and during the week) it was not crowded, and we were very glad that we decided to take him.

Monday we drove up to Sault Ste. Marie and then on to Tahquamenon Falls. We just drove through the town to see it. There really isn't anything we could do with him there -- dogs weren't allowed in Soo Locks park area -- but we knew that. Just wanted to see what was there since we were so close. I think they may be allowed on boat trips through the locks on the Canadian Side. Loved Tahquamenon Falls (they are allowed on leashes and there were quite a few dogs there). We ate at Camp 33 (I think that is what it is called). There is a gift shop with a restaurant. He was allowed on the deck area (and there are also picnic tables nearby). Food was good.

Tuesday we took Shepler's Ferry over to Mackinac Island. He was free and did great--his first time on a boat of any kind. We sat on the top deck (our choice) -- just a warning, it is very windy. Glad we were up there, but also glad I had a hood. There is also an enclosed bottom deck.

It is very crowded when you first get off the ferry, but the business area isn't that long (can't imagine what it is like in the busy season) and it clears out after a couple of blocks in either direction. We really didn't know what he would do around the horses. He is a hunting dog and barks at deer,etc. in our yard, but he basically just ignored the horses.

We walked along the shore, up the stairs to Arch Rock and back down, and then back to the town. We took a carriage ride. They were very nice, even asked if he wanted to drink out of the horses's water bucket. They said they usually have the dogs sit in the back of the carriage which was fine with us. We were on two different carriages and there were already dogs in the back on the second one, so we sat in the second row -- he was fine there also.

We ate at Mary's Bistro. They had tables in the front (by the street) and even brought him some water when they brought ours. Food was great.

Sorry this is so long, but maybe it will help someone in the future.

The short form is that we found the area to be a very dog friendly place and the dogs we saw appeared to be content. Of course, it could be different in the busy summer and you never know what a dog will do. We had a great trip. Thanks to everyone for your help and also to
mcmckissic1 on another post.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Great report, maj. Loved the detail. Would love to do the trip with my dogs!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Ahhh, Mackinac Island...great memories..spent a summer in college working there. They are great pet lovers on the island. Except, get this:

My friend had a dog that he would tie on a chain in the store's backyard while he was working. Otherwise, the dog went everywhere with him. One day, after work, he went out to get his dog and noticed something attached to his collar. It was a ticket! The dog had been barking at tourists and the (notice the singular THE) police officer GAVE THE DOG A TICKET! My friend had to go to court in St. Ignace to pay the fine. Of course he took the dog with him! Disturbing the peace.

Back then, maybe a little has changed, there were only TWO police officers on the island. They also rode bikes. If there was someone in the jail, the law was that BOTH had to be at the jailhouse. Crazy.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the report, Maj. We do similar trips with our warthog and it's nice to read other's experiences.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:38 AM

I assume that was a barking ticket.