Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is legoland worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-legoland-worth-it-343248/)

Happy2trvl Jul 31st, 2003 12:30 PM

Is legoland worth it?

We are travelling with 2 boys aged 9 and 11 years. Both are lego maniacs. I really am not sure what to expect, and with the cost of legoland tickets do you guys think this is worth it? We are doing the disney, universal and san diego stuff. Thanks for your help....

ltt Jul 31st, 2003 12:56 PM

if they are "lego maniacs" then they MAY enjoy it but i think it is geared for kids younger then your boys.

mmee Jul 31st, 2003 04:43 PM

We're there 3 yrs ago. Most of the rides were catered to younger chn. I'm sure they must have added new rides since then. The structures there were made with Lego. However, if your boys would have gone to Disney, Universal, Magic Mountain first, they might be bored in Legoland. You can check the admission price online at Legoland website.

MonicaRichards Jul 31st, 2003 08:37 PM

Legoland is for younger children. It's also kind of expensive for what it is. I will be taking my two and a half year old daughter in September (we also took her when she was 18 months old) but I think your kids are too old.

travellyn Aug 1st, 2003 07:18 AM

My son loved it last year, a few months before his tenth birthday. He especially liked the small city, and some of the rides. He would also describe himself as a legomaniac, so that may have made him enjoy it more than other kids his age. There are some coupons for a few dollars off Legoland admission with zoo and WAP admission.

laurelt Aug 1st, 2003 03:44 PM

My 10 year old daughter loved Legoland. She still talks about it, 3 years later. I thought that it was a welcome change from the crazyness of Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, etc. It is very low-key and more european feeling, in terms of amusement parks. Guess that figures! I would encourage you to go. (They give AAA discounts!)

Binthair Aug 1st, 2003 07:26 PM

I went there, liked it, and I'm much older than your kids.

bigtyke Aug 2nd, 2003 05:41 PM

we went ther first year it was open and enjoyed it altho it was very expensive. The rides were geared for the younger children.

However, I just returned from Carlsbad and while I didn't go to Legoland again, I saw several ads on TV that indicated the park has added some rides for older children.

They are just at the right age and if they are fanatics, they will certainly enjoy it

joesorce Aug 2nd, 2003 08:02 PM

Our boys are 9 and 11 and recently tired of Legoland after about 8 visits in 2 years. They really loved if for a while. If yours are Legomaniacs, its a must.

Stop in at a Ralphs Supermarket while in California, their paper sacks have $5 off coupons for Legoland. Also check out www.wildvacationsca.com

janis Aug 2nd, 2003 08:31 PM

As some of the others have said - most of the features and rides are geared to children up to age 10 - but if your kids are "legomaniacs" then it is really a MUST. It is a lovely, more laid back park for families w/o the rush and mobs of Disney/Universal/et al.

The discount coupons are available all over Southern California.

Dutch Aug 2nd, 2003 08:45 PM

About six years ago we took our three boys to Legoland when they were 5, 8, and 11 respectively. At first we thought it would be too juvenile for our 11-year old but he ended up having a blast. In fact, all of the kids wanted to stay an extra day there instead of going on to Disneyland. As parents, we much preferred this park in Carlsbad than the more crowded places in Southern California.