Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is January 1st busy or slow day for Broadway shows?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Sandi

Since there aren't performances on New Years eve, I'm curious as to whether or not January 1st is a "busy" or "slower" day for Broadway plays....On the one hand, everyone has the day off...on the other, maybe it's a day to regroup. Any experience with trying to catch NYC plays, good seats etc. on this holiday?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Me

I don't know the answer but you can go on ticketmaster.com or telecharge.com and inquire about ticket availability on those dates to see what's available. My guess is holiday times are tough but you never know.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Nancy

Good Question Sandi! I too had noticed that on December 31 no evening performances at the shows I'm interested in. On Wednesday, Jan 1, most have a 8:00pm performance but not the usual Wednesday matinees. I hope someone out there has some insite into this.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Philip

The schedule changes from year to year. There have been performances on December 31 and not Jan 1 and vice versa. So I think it's hard to gauge. I can tell you that movies are always crowded on Jan 1 in NYC.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:15 AM
x

Don't expect the Lead performers to be on stage.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Sandi

EECH! Tell me it aint's so! I wanted to see Michael Crawford in Dance of the Vampires. I can't imagine that he wouldn't be the one performing!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Howard

Sandi, I'd ignore x's comment.
Note, however, that New Year's Day evening performances are likely to be popular. With New Year's Day falling on a Wednesday, there are likely to still be a lot of tourists in the city for the rest of the week.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sandi

Thanks Howard. I feel better and will look into the tickets. I believe it was scheduled to pre-open last night. I hope it's a success as I adore Michael Crawford, with that said....I don't want to pay $95 for a ticket and not see him (understudies for other roles are OK, but not his!) Sandi

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Bruce

Did this play even open? It has been delayed at least once. Any reviews in the NY papers? Wife wants to go...should I go for it?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:57 AM
Linda

I've been to New Year's theatre performances in the past. They change from year to year. Generally, the holiday season is excruciatingly
busy and filled with many, many tourists.