Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is it worth the money to pay for a tour of pearl harbour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-it-worth-the-money-to-pay-for-a-tour-of-pearl-harbour-342512/)

trishfromoz Jul 29th, 2003 04:55 PM

Is it worth the money to pay for a tour of pearl harbour?

I don't mean is Pearl Harbour worthy seeing, I am so looking forward to it. I know from this site that its actually free to visit Pearl Harboiur, but the tour companies charge about $49. As a family, with one ina wheel chair, what are the benefits of taking the tour? I know that we need to get in early to avoid the queues, does taking the tour beat the queues?

Anonymous Jul 29th, 2003 05:07 PM

When we visited the National Park Service site and took their boat out to the Arizona Memorial, the shuttle boat was definitely NOT wheelchair-accessible, but that was 4 years ago. OTOH, I don 't think any other boats were allowed to dock there, so I'm not clear on what the commercial tours are offering. Can you give us web sites for the tours, to compare to the NPS site?

One possibility of course is for one adult to stay behind at the park with your 5-year-old while the others go out to the Memorial, if it's not accessible; the 5-year old is probably too young to appreciate it anyway.

http://www.nps.gov/usar/

trishfromoz Jul 29th, 2003 06:51 PM

can anyone else clarify whether or not Pearl Harbour is accessible by wheel chair? We make a point of not leaving him out of anything, we'll carry him if we have to, is there a lot of walking involved?

Anonymous Jul 29th, 2003 07:31 PM

Well, Pearl Harbor itself is a body of water, of course. It's not entirely clear what place you're asking about access to.

The Park Service park, known as the USS Arizona Memorial, including the grounds and visitors center and the auditorium where everybody hears a talk and sees a film, is completely accessible, nicely paved paths etc. The only aspect in question is getting on and off the shuttle boat out to the Arizona Memorial which IIRC is also accessible and is like a chapel inside. It is unlikely that your tour would use its own boats for this rather than the Park Service's regular shuttle boats.

Even if someone replies here that they've taken the shuttle boat recently and it's still not accessible, you might be better-off contacting the park directly, because they might have another means of getting peole in chairs out to the memorial. With all the aging veterans that they see all the time, I'd be surprised if some sort of accommodation couldn't be arranged.

What does the $49 tour include?

Anonymous Jul 29th, 2003 07:42 PM

Re-reading that post, I realize I've used "Arizona Memorial" in two, confusing, ways. But so does the Park Service!

The ship itself is underwater, of course. A memorial has been built above it, atop the water, where you can lean over the rails and see the ship's hulk, still leaking a trickle of oil. Inside, this memorial building is chapel-like and accessible.

To get to this memorial building, you take a shuttle boat out from the US Park Service's onshore installation, which park is called the USS Arizona Memorial. In the park are the visitors center, gift shops, etc. that I referred to above, all accessible.

In the Honolulu area are other war-related sites, cemetery, etc. that might be included in a comprehensive commercial tour that might be called a Pearl Harbor tour.

Postal Jul 29th, 2003 08:01 PM

I have seen people in wheelchairs get on the boats to the Arizona Memorial in the past. The boats are operated by the Navy for free, and no other tour boats are allowed to stop at the white memorial that is over the USS Arizona (no part of the memorial actually touches the ship, by the way, but the ship still oozes oil.) I would assume the commercial tours simply pass the memorial. I have been to the memorial at least 15 times and its significance and beauty have never failed to affect me deeply. However, I'm not sure a five year old would be able to appreciate it, either.

trishfromoz Jul 29th, 2003 11:04 PM

Thanks, I do not know what the $49 tour includes that why I was asking if anyone has been on it. I was wondering, as a first timer, whether it woud be more beneficial to us to take the tour or by simply lining up on the day do you manage to see and learn everything. What do the tours offer that you don't get by fronting up? I am assuming they would pick us up at the hotel, but does anyone know what else is included?

mmee Jul 30th, 2003 12:25 AM

Our family was at The USS Arizona Memorial (Pearl Harbor) in mid Jul. It is wheel chair accessible. If you have any concerns, check this website and ask: http://www.nps.gov/usar/

I've seen tour buses rolling in as early as 7,45am as that was the time we arrived in our rented car. I won't be surprised if they're even earlier as it opened at 7.30am. There was a long line waiting when we got there. It's not that bad as it's slowly moving along.

We got the tickets to watch the 9am show. While waiting for the show, we looked at the museum exhibits. After
the 23 mins film on the history of the Pearl Harbor attack, we boarded a Navy operated launch for the trip to the Memorial, a beautiful white bldg that is built over the remains of the sunken battleship USS Arizona.

The entire prog takes about 1 hr and 15 mins but visitors should allow two and a half hours for the visit, as waits are common. Tours are free and no reservations are taken. Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. A storage container is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Park and Battleship Missouri Memorial. The adjacent USS Bowfin Memorial Park will operate the storage container. Items accepted at the baggage storage will be carry-on size or smaller (30?H x 30?W x 18?D). The fee is $2.00 per item.

Re the $49 tour, a number of free booklets for tourists (found at airports, hotels, etc) advertised the Pearl Harbor shuttle service, prices range from $7-$12 per person (2 way).

Does the $49 include a visit to USS Missouri (Admission fee:$16 for adult and $8 for kids 4-12), Punchbowl Nat'l Cemetery, island tour or a luau in that package? It would seem too pricey just to tour Pearl Harbor alone.

IMHO, a trip to Hawaii would not be complete without a visit to the USS Arizona Memorial. My 2 boys, 6 and 4, were very moved and touched by its historical significance values.

JohnD Jul 30th, 2003 04:03 AM

Hello, suggest you contact the NPS for your situation, here is website with contact info:http://www.nps.gov/usar/pphtml/contacts.html

Also hours of operation can be found here:http://www.nps.gov/usar/pphtml/basics.html
Hope this helps!
:S-

EricoSmith Jul 30th, 2003 07:33 AM

Basically the tour takes you and drops you off and then picks you up again. The tour guide will talk about the Memorial and provide background information but will not actually go on the shuttle.

You don't see any more on the tour, you don't avoid any lines (they wait in the same line as everyone else), and they really don't provide any benefit other than whatever the guide can tell you during the bus ride and while waiting in line.

islandmom Jul 30th, 2003 09:00 PM

I've taken the boat tour around it where they throw leis in the water. That was nice. I can't believe people will charge you to just drive out there! What a scam! Give me $50 and I'll give you a ride and tour ;)