Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

IS IT WORTH IT TO SEE A BROADWAY PLAY OR SHOULD I USE THE $250.00 FOR A CRUISE/DINNER?

IS IT WORTH IT TO SEE A BROADWAY PLAY OR SHOULD I USE THE $250.00 FOR A CRUISE/DINNER?

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a hard time deciding on whether to go to Broadway Play ($250.00) or enjoy a cruise around Manhattan and then splurge on a great dinner instead? I am in town for only 3 days.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM

Why not see a show with discount tickets (you can get advance ones via codes on Broadwaybox.com) then go for a nice but more modest dinner.

You can get a harbor cruise for free on the Staten Island ferry.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM

What a great answer! And there I was thinking, "hmm, I think I'd go see a great musical", and you got it all for the OP.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM

Great idea. Do it all.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM

Definitely don't miss a Broadway play while in New York. Just make sure you pick something you know you will enjoy. My husband, who is not a big fan of going to plays, was happy to pay for another show the following night that we hadn't planned for because he enjoyed the first one so much.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM

When are you going? In the past week or so I have booked 12 shows in NYC for our month in June. ALL of those were at major discounts with either playbill.com or broadwaybox.com discounts. I've gotten surprisingly good seats too -- usually by looking on line, but then by calling and finding better ones and booking by phone using the discount codes.

Regarding cruises. I hate to say it, but I've done a few. The worst was the Circle Line "all the way around Manhattan" one which I though would NEVER end. BORING! When all is said and done, my favorite is still just taking the free Staten Island Ferry! I've also enjoyed taking the little yellow water taxi from the west side around the south end of Manhattan to Fulton Landing in Brooklyn for a walk to Grimaldi's Pizza, the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory (right where the boat lands), and then a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. A great value for little money!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM

I would strongly recommend seeing a Broadway play, especially if you've never been to one before. If you enjoy plays and or musicals, nothing matches seeing one on Broadway. You could try to get the two for one tickets which would save money. I think the booth is still in Times Square.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM

I hate to say it, but I've done a few. The worst was the Circle Line "all the way around Manhattan" one which I though would NEVER end. BORING! When all is said and done, my favorite is still just taking the free Staten Island Ferry!

No matter what anybody else tells you, truer words than these were never spoke.

Some years ago when I was living in NYC a friend from England told me he wanted to take the Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan but that none of his other friends were willing to go with him. I knew why (it's boring). Nonetheless, I told him that if he was determined to take the cruise, I would go with him. I did. We both hated the experience, but it has been the basis for a life-long friendship.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM

check Travelzoo.com for deals on discounted tix for Broadway shows. We got tix to Legally Blond (which we loved) for almost half price when we went last summer. have a great trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help! I will definitely go to a play and do the Staten Island Ferry. I am coming in May as a graduation present for my 14 year old daughter and I think your right that seeing a play on Broadway will be an amazing experience for her versus the cruise.

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM

To be clear for others reading this thread, I think the Circle Line cruise that posters are referring to as boring is the 3-hour, full-island cruise that goes all the way around Manhattan island. I can understand why this would be boring because the upper reaches of Manhattan are almost entirely residential. The 2-hour, semicircle cruise goes from midtown on the west side, around lower Manhattan to midtown on the east side and probably has more "sights" to see.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM

I would agree since you are with a 14 year old, that the best combination of activities would be a play, a more moderate dinner and the Staten Island ferry.

Unless your daughter is more of a foody than most kids her age, an expensive dinner wouldn't be as much fun as a show and dinner at a cheaper restaurant like Ben's Deli.

And you can't beat the Staten Island ferry for cheap views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM

For a 14 yr old (which you didn't say to start with) even the semi circle is probably too long. The Beast is a better option.
http://www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=beast

or the Staten Island ferry.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM

The Staten Island Ferry is the "cheapest, best date" in NY -- it's free, but unfortunately in a post 911 world you have to disembark at each end. Still well worth it! There are snacks on board, but a picnic is fun too.

As for theater tickets, unless there's something you HAVE to see, waiting for TKTS (the 1/2 price booth in Times Square) is worth it, but you do have to be on the line well in advance. I think tickets go on sale at noon for matinees and 3 for evening shows. There are also many two-fers, little slips of paper offering deals, available everywhere. My favorite is theatermania.com where I have signed up to have discount offers e:mailed to me -- lots of great opportunities have come thru that site.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

I'm not a big believer in the TKTS booth. Why? Because for most of those shows you can get the same price tickets (or often just a little more expensive) by going directly to the theatre box office of the show you want to see and presenting one of the discount codes from playbill.com, theatremania, broadwaybox, or others.

The advantage to doing the latter? You get to choose the best seats available. You don't have to stand in line. And you're not limited to that day's performance only. If you're going to be in New York for a few days, you can take an hour on your first day there, go to the various theatres of shows that have discounts and get all your tickets, not having to stand in line each day! Also your seats will generally be BETTER seats at the box office a few days before the show, than what they will have at TKTS the day of the show. You can even choose between performances you want to see based on which one they have the best tickets available for.

I would also say that ordering your tickets well in advance by phone or online using those discount codes is also great, but honestly with the high extra fees by Telecharge or Ticketmaster for doing that, it eats up a lot of the savings. So if the bottom line is price, you really are better waiting to do it in person once you are in NYC.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM

Here's a radical thought: ask the kid what she wants to do. Not all kids want to see big Broadway musicals. Maybe she'd prefer to see a "serious" play. Maybe she'd like to experience dinner in a nice, formal restaurant. or maybe, if you're lucky, she'd like to find a nice spot in an outdoor cafe and watch the passing parade.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

While I agree with Patrick, "all the way around Manhattan" one which I though would NEVER end. BORING!"

My husband would not, he loved it. I was ready jump off the boat and beg not to be rescued. 2 hours would have been quite enough.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM

NeoPatrick is quite right about the advantages of using the discount offers rather than going to TKTS. The only advantage of TKTS is that the cost is usually $10-20 cheaper than most of the discount offers. So, if your budget is tight, TKTS is the way to go.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM

Howard I think the key word is "usually". Recently I've been surprised by the number of discount codes for a full 50% off, and sometimes even slightly more, particularly during the week and on Sunday. Among the shows included are Legally Blonde, Xanadu, Boeing Boeing, 39 Steps, and several others. If you buy those in advance by phone or online as I said the high fees (up to $17 a ticket) eat up some of the savings, but if you use those codes at the box office, you actually CAN end up with cheaper AND better seats than you'd get at TKTS.