Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is It True About Fodors??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-it-true-about-fodors-428329/)

OaktownTraveler May 4th, 2004 09:14 AM

Is It True About Fodors???

I am just back from travel...

I posted this on the Europe Boards and I would like your comments as well.

I was informed that The USA Today(5/1/04) did NOT place Fodors Travel Boards in the top 5 Travel Forums.

Is it true? My computer skills do not allow me to search etc.

If it is true why?

Oaktown Traveler

Keith May 4th, 2004 10:17 AM

I could understand the people the work for Fodors caring, but as a user, couldn't care less where USA ranks forums.

Keith

FainaAgain May 4th, 2004 10:25 AM

I don't read USA today, so it's only an assumption.

If they judge by the talk forum, then Fodor's must be the best.

If they judge by the information provided on this website, then I can agree with Fodor's not making the top 5.

If they judge by the travel books - can't say anything as I've never used them.

caribtraveler May 4th, 2004 11:09 AM

the article i found in usa today was published on 4/28. it was not ranking the top 5 travel forums.
the gist of the article was how travelers nowadays can get their info from other travelers from travel web sites instead of using the usual guide book, etc...
the author went on to pick the city of atlanta and compared the info he found on several travel web sites: lonely planet, frommers, trip advisor, talkaboutnetwork, and igougo.

OaktownTraveler May 6th, 2004 05:46 PM

Any additional thoughts about why anyone would not find good or useful travel information on ATLANTA on this site?

Oaktown Traveler

Jayne11159 May 6th, 2004 06:12 PM

I do all the trip planning in our family and this is the primary travel forum I use. I start here and expand my search from what I learn. My husband was skeptical at first, and now he always asks me if I've checked here before we finalize our plans. I base my criteria on the consistently accurate information I have gotten here. I rarely pay attention to ratings or rankings anyway because they are too general.

TedTurner May 6th, 2004 07:08 PM

To O.T.: it sounds to me like you're assuming that since a writer in USA Today (sometimes referred to as 'news lite') didn't mention Fodor's that he's condemning it by neglect.

Even if his intent was to make a list of best travel boards, and if he didn't list fodor's, I'd completely dismiss the significance of that.
The sole purpose of such articles is to entertain. Just like the "best places to live' lists and such. They're only for entertainment.

The only way you could actually call into question the significance or quality of Fodor's, ThornTree or whatever, would be to do a large, carefully stratified and demographically balanced survey of travellers who use the web. Which would cost a lot of money. Easily many tens of thousands of dollars.
Short of that, polls and ranking lists are going to be skewed, unbalanced, biased and invalid blah blah blah.

DeborahB May 7th, 2004 04:56 AM

I could care less what any newspaper article has to say. I never take a trip without researching here first. I've always gotten great advice and try to return the favor. Of course I have other sites I favor too.

Not been here much lately because it takes so long to load. Anyone else experiencing that?

caribtraveler May 7th, 2004 06:16 AM

I agree with TedTurner. I think you're misunderstanding the author of the article (Forgive me if I'm wrong about that). He was NOT saying Fodors wasn't good. He just picked 5 travel websites at random and was NOT saying they were the best. He was just saying what he found out about Atlanta in those 5 travel websites.

jimshep May 7th, 2004 07:44 AM

So, what are some of the top travel forums according to USA Today, you, or other sources?

OaktownTraveler May 7th, 2004 08:35 AM

Click on my moniker to pull up the exact same question that I posted on the Europe Board.

LOTS more detail, insight and other opinions including mine(smile).

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler

jimshep May 8th, 2004 06:19 AM

Thank you Oaktown Traveler.

Tess May 8th, 2004 07:35 AM

All of my trips begin by checking Fodors and tripadvisor.com. I'd rather hear 'real' people's opinions than travelguides any day.

pspercy May 8th, 2004 07:51 AM

The article in question:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/bonus...et-sites_x.htm

jor May 8th, 2004 09:55 AM

Travel editors are a dime a dozen. The ranking is only one person's opinion. Personally I think thorntree on Travel Planet.com is more popular but much more complicated.

OaktownTraveler May 8th, 2004 10:03 AM

Jimshep:

Your welcome!

Have a great day.

Oaktown Traveler

cruss99 May 8th, 2004 02:42 PM

Who, in their right mind, wants to got to Atlanta on purpose, anyway?? :-)