Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it practical to visit Disneyland and Universal Studios over two days, and is Universal Studios worth the trouble?

Search

Is it practical to visit Disneyland and Universal Studios over two days, and is Universal Studios worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Cindy

I am in the very preliminary stages of putting together a trip for next summer. The whole extended family would convene in LA for 2-3 days before heading off for the main part of the vacation.

We are thinking of arriving at LAX on Day 1, driving to Anaheim, getting a hotel, and then seeing Disneyland on Day 2. The question is whether we should try to go to Universal Studios on Day 3? Is it too far? Is Universal Studios worth the trouble (our group is adults 8 kids ages 16-3)? Is there a mid-point that would be convenient to both parks? Is there something better closer to Disneyland for Day 2?

Thanks, all.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Annie

Hi Cindy:
How about Knott's Berry Farm? It is close to Disneyland and I think your family will enjoy it. Plus they sell great jellies and jams. Have fun!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Gary

Cindy:

I've been to Universal Studios twice with interested family visitors, but found the experience each time an unbearable bore. And it's expensive--on the order of Disneyland. A certain range of children (maybe ages 7-12), who have been mesmerized by commercials, seem to love the "rides," which basically are controlled excursions through enormous recreations of popular movies.

I agree with Annie. Knott's is great, and much easier to which find discount admissions. It's more relaxed than either Universal or Disneyland, and my twelve and fourteen year olds, while preferring Six Flags to any of the other SoCal parks, greatly prefer the rides at Knott's to those at Disneyland. I've also taken my little one (age 4) there; Knott's has a good selection of little-kid rides and attractions. And it has Snoopy (remember him?).

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Michele

I live in Orange County, and trying to do D-land and Universal Studios in 2 days will be way too much. Just the drive from Anaheim to Universal Studios will take you most of the morning, if you're going during the week.

I would pick one or the other. Universal now has the City Walk, and this intrigues some people, but the rides and such are a bit boring. It was a much better attraction when they kept it simpler instead of trying to compete with every other amuzement park.

Knott's can be an excellent alternative option. It's relatively close to D-land, the rides are more appealing to older (some kids actually prefer them to Six Flags), and the window shopping is great. (although the prices are SKY HIGH!) Knott's just opened a new water park this past summer, so that is also an added bonus for the kids. Parents find Knott's a little more appealing as well, because there are some great old buildings to explore. (providing one is into that) Also, you can get your hand stamped for re-entry, and take a short walk up the street to visit the Movieland Wax Museum. A bit schmaltzy I admit, but I always get a good laugh when I go through it with out of town guests!

Hope you have a great trip!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 01:19 PM
sammie

If you have small children Disneyland is better. For adults I think Universal in California is more interesting and a very pretty location built on a hilliside..

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 01:22 PM
allen

Agree with Michelle that doing both parks will be difficult. I would suggest staying at Disnelyland for both days. The new section is scheduled to open in 2001, not sure exactly when, and you will be going during peak season, so you may need two days to do and see everything. Also think that Universal is blatantly commercialized with more stores and eating places than actual attractions. Not that Disneyland isn't, just seems less so.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Cal

Here is another vote to skip Universal. Personally, I think is is a grossly overpriced bore not to mention the drive to get there.

On the other hand Knott's Berry Farm is an excellent choice and is pretty close to where you will be staying.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 04:44 PM
Jennie

Love Disney! Knotts Berry Farm is fun. Universal Studios is over priced & very few rides... not worth it!

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 11:39 AM
Rose

I had the opposite experience, I found Disneyland to be a bore when compared to Universal Studios. If you're into Movies, you will enjoy it. Disneyland is for the kiddies, Universal is geared more towards the adults.