Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to see most of San Diego using public transportation?

Sep 20th, 1999, 06:56 AM
Suzanne

Hello, a little help please. We want to visit San Diego for our family vacation next year but don't want to have to rent a car and mess with driving. My husband's work requires him to drive 10 hours a day, and when he is on vaction he hates to mess with driving. We normally visit large cities that have good public transportation. I understand that San Diego public transportation is pretty good, but sometimes slow. Any comments in regards to this would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance for any help at all!!!!!

Sep 20th, 1999, 10:55 AM
Carol

We used the Old Town Trolley (I think that's the name) last March when we were there. It stops just about everywhere; you get off and on all day long, and spend as much or as little time as you choose at a particular spot.

Sep 20th, 1999, 01:32 PM
paul

Its possible to see a good portion but there is no easy public transportation to the beach areas and San Diego has some great beach areas to visit. I would recommend staying downtown where there is easy access to the trolley, trains, busses and even the ferry to Coronado. Maybe you could rent a car for just a day or two and go to the beach resorts and other places not easily accessible by public means.

Sep 20th, 1999, 05:16 PM
kathrine

With the exception of the trolley, San Diego public transportation is a nightmare . I suggest that you stay somewhere centrally located, and either take the Old Town Trolley which can transport you to many "tourist" attractions in San Diego, or rent a car. Enterprise can offer you vehicles for aroung $20/day. If you want any help picking our a hotel for your visit, drop me a note and I will be glad to help you out.

Sep 21st, 1999, 04:01 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego. The suggestion to stay in downtown San Diego is right on target. There is plenty to see and do all within walking distance. You can walk along the water front. visit Horton Plaza, visit Seaport Village, walk the Gaslamp area, etc. Another 'must do', in my opinion, is to take the ferry from downtown San Diego to Coronado.

There is public transportation and tours that will get you to most everything. However it is really pretty hard to see and do it all without driving to some extent.