Is it ever cheaper to rent one city return another LAX/SFO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working our California Summer trip. We were going to fly or drive to LA from SFO and not consider one way rental. But my one way rentals LAX to SFO are actually coming up way cheaper to do the one way rental!

Lock Low and Go LAX to SFO 6/17-7/3 = $446
Same SFO-SFO = $908

Seems crazy right! I am worried they'll tell me that something doesn't show up on computer.

It's enough of a difference to impact the itinerary....

Any experiences?
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM

If rental company is interested in getting a car to a specific location it is cheaper for you to drive it than for them to truck it or pay someone to drive there. It looks like they want to move the car to SFO.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM

It is also often cheaper to rent a car at a site outside an airport and to return it to an airport.

Check with Dollar and Thrifty for their deals, and sign up for Dollar Express or Thrifty Blue Chip and you will be able to pick up your car without hassle.

Also, look for promotional codes, such as these: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dollar.com

HTTY
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Yes, sometimes you can get better rates on the east coast when the companies are moving cars to or back from Florida for high season.

But - you have to meet their dates and be going to someplace they needs more cars - like Orlando or NYC.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM

It happens. I've had a rental from PHX to LAS cost less than a roundtrip from either airport.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I don't understand why this is even surprising, you are renting in two completely different cities and of course rental prices vary between cities, depending on the market. The one-way rental is pretty irrelevant in many cases if it is a national chain and the two cities are in the same state.

Why would you think a car rental price should be the same in every city? That's basically what you ssem to assume, but I don't get that, rental prices vary all over the place in different cities.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM

Why would you think a car rental price should be the same in every city?

Do you really want an explanation or are you trying to embarrass the OP by suggesting that there is something defective in his or her reasoning?

I am always surprised when there is hundreds of dollars in the difference of the price of an auto rental depending on where I pick up or return a car.

I hope in the future sfmaster, and others, will be allowed to express mystification without undergoing a condescending cross-examination.

HTTY
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Is it ever cheaper to rent in one city and return to another?"

...apparently you already found the answer to your own question.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Answering the OP, yes, it is almost always cheaper to rent going LAX to SFO than the reverse because for some reason most people go north to south and the rental car companies need to get the cars back north. Often times people on this and other travel forums are advised to make the California central coast trip north to south because you will then be driving on the ocean side of the road for easier pull outs. But, it is just a two lane road and in my experience does not matter.

No matter which way you go do call to check on the weather conditions on the central coast for Hwy. 1 before you set out. If it is foggy it is a miserable drive, take another route.

Enjoy,it truly is one of the worlds prettiest drives.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Youza people. Let's be nice here!

Usually there are pretty significant ONE WAY charges, that I have found obliterate any economies of individual markets.

I have found price differences sure. But I'm was finding almost 2x the cost to rent in an out of SF than to go from LA to SF. Having traveled to California for many years this seemed an extreme difference that made me cautious.....

And turn to the Fodors community for perspective.

Post if you have perspective to provide....if you don't why post just to be snarky and superior.

Or if you think it's obvious - something like
This happens pretty often
OR
Don't worry I have seen this before.....

Travel is good - travel is supposed to allow you to appreciate multiple perspectives.

Let's DEMONSTRATE THAT please.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM

""Answering the OP, yes, it is almost always cheaper to rent going LAX to SFO than the reverse...""

OK, but hoooooooooooow is this answering the OP???

The strong implication is that the OP is comparing total one-way rental costs to the corresponding costs for picking-up and returning at the same location.

The answer is, of course, yes, it is sometimes cheaper to rent one-way, for X days, than it would be to pick-up and return after X days to that same pick-up location in the city of origin.

Indeed it is a bit of a surprise when it happens (er, when it happens convenient to YOU ), but you should arrive with confidence of having been given a realistic rate.

*** I've had it happen between Hartford, CT and Portland, Maine, and I monitored the rates for weeks prior to my trip, and the numbers never waivered from the Portland return being $100+ cheaper than a Hartford-Hartford rental.