Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it better to buy show tickets online ahead of time, or gamble and get them at the TKTS booth?

Is it better to buy show tickets online ahead of time, or gamble and get them at the TKTS booth?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Jason

I'll be in NY in Dec and plan on attending a show, thinking about The Graduate. I can get tickets through playbill.com at a discounted rate, orchestra for $50. Should I go ahead and buy those, or wait and try to get day of tickets? Is the price break that much a discount?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Bob

Prices at TKTS re usually 50% off (though occasionally only 25% off)of higher priced tickets, plus a $3.00 (?)
service charge per ticket. \
How much does the playbill discount work out to?(it always tells you the regualr price as well as the discount) Remember that if you go through their link and buy through telecharge, you get the discounted rate but you have to pay a $6 per ticket service charge.

If the numbers work out close enough for you (or if you only want to see this show--after all there are no guarantees that TKTS will have the show the day you want it), buy the tickets in advance and save yourself the time of waiting on line in cold and/or rainy/snowy weather. If you can choose between several shows you might want to see , wait.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Flynn

The TKTS booth usually sells a show anywhere between 25-50% off the regular price plus a small service charge ($2.50?). You may save some money depending on what the full price of The Graduate is. Question is: do you want to stand on line in the cold on W. 47th Street or trek to the South Seaport which is enclosed?

Sounds like $50 at Playbill (and Broadwaybox.com) is a good deal.

Keep in mind that Lorraine Bracco (shrink in Sopranos) will play Mrs. Robinson. Should be really good.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Jason

The Playbill tickets are offered for $50. It says they are regularly $80 with a $1.25 facilities fee added to each ticket. Sounds like a descent price. I'm leaning towards going ahead and ordering the tickets through Playbill.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Rocky

Jason
Get yah tickets ahead a time.December is a great month in the City but its packed.The Shoe Show the second week,then all the shoppers,other groups.All the shows will be filled to the gill.IMHO
Rocky

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Howard

You don't say what part of December, Jason. If it's early in the month and you're not talking about a weekend, you can probably wait until you get here and spend less money for the tickets at TKTS, especially if saving money is your primary consideration.
If you're talking about a weekend performance or any day around the holiday period, then I'd definitely get them now via the Playbill offer.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Connie

Once again, Howard is right on. Personally, I feel better having tickets in hand. I'm NOT familiar with the Graduate but I waited a bit too long myself and had to resort to buying tickets during the past week. I have tickets to both Christmas Spectacular (Rockettes) and Movin' Out (Billy Joel musical). Both are really good seats. Christmas Spectacular I got for $5 less than face value. I wasn't quite as lucky with Movin' Out and paid $14 more than face value...BUT I'm in the 4th row Orchestra so I'm pleased. I guess it is an individual thing. My husband is a real P.I.T.A. when it comes to waiting in line so I'm glad we have our tickets ahead of time. We purchased ours on ebay since the seats and performances that we could live with were limited. We're going between Christmas and returning January 2 so I believe we are in the highest demand time. If you're going early, and can find decent seats...you may do better. We're pleased and I can only share with you what worked best for us.