Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Homer worth going to if we don't fish? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-homer-worth-going-to-if-we-dont-fish-325343/)

lila5583 Jun 8th, 2003 02:14 PM

Is Homer worth going to if we don't fish?

Is it really worth driving to Homer from Seward or Anchorage? Whats the best thing if we are not interested in fishing? What else is there to do?
Is there a good place to stay?

Jon_Eric Jun 8th, 2003 03:09 PM

I'm no Alaska expert, but every person I have ever known who's been to Homer were fisherman and went for that reason.

dwooddon Jun 8th, 2003 04:20 PM

I'm not a fisherman and have completely enjoyed my two visits to Homer. The scenery is magnificent, there are small villages on the lower peninsula to visit by water taxi, air, or marine ferry. I really enjoyed driving through the back country around Homer, visiting the tiny Russian villages with their unique churches. I have never been able to pick between Seward and Homer so I've gone both places both times.

Dottie Jun 8th, 2003 04:31 PM

Hi, We went to Homer last year and didn't fish.The drive to Homer from Seward isn't that scenic,but once you get there the view out across the bay is Breathtaking.

This is a list of what we did.

One day Whale watch tour with Rainbow tours.Saw 40 plus humpback whales up close with many breachings.Amazing day,but you have to time it so you go when the Humpbacks are there. We went in July.

Took a trip to Halibut Cove on a very cute wooden boat called the Danny J.It goes by Gull Island with a lot of birds. Also saw a lot of Otter on this trip.We had a lovely afternoon, I liked this a lot.

You can also take one day Bear viewing trips out of Homer if that is of interest to you.We talked to a couple who did this and were very happy. We did do a trip into see the Bears but ours was out of Anchorage.

There are some good places to stay in and around Homer. I heard a lot of good reports about Land's End hotel right on the split.We stayed at a place out side of town called "Chocolate Drop Inn". They do have a web site.We were happy with it.There are a lot of B&B's in the area.

I liked Homer a lot for a short visit. I wouldn't have missed the two day trips we took for the world. But also I wouldn't want to miss Exit Glacier in Seward either.

Postal Jun 8th, 2003 04:51 PM

The views in Homer are just amazing, and we loved our two nights at Wildrose B&B where we had a two bedroom cabin to ourselves. We were up high overlooking the Homer Spit and it was just breathtakingly beautiful. I liked Homer a lot more than Seward, except for the Kenai Fjords cruise.

MileKing Jun 9th, 2003 12:10 PM

Was in Homer 3 years ago, but didn't go Halibut fishing. Actually went Salmon fishing further north near Soldotna. Flew out of Homer on a one-day bear viewing trip. Pricey, but absolutely fantastic.

As for Lands End Resort, where I spent two nights, I would say it is highly overrated. (Frommers give this place 3 stars which is ridiculous.) And that's being kind. It is certainly not a resort by any stretch and the quality of the room left a lot to be desired for the price. No better than a two star hotel, and that is pushing it. The location is excellent, right at the end of Homer spit, but that's about it. The restaurant attached to Land's End (I think it was Chart House) was very good and I would recommend.

I understand that in the past two years Land's End has constructed a new wing on the hotel. I've seen pictures of the new rooms and they look great. My suggestion would be if you can guaranteee one of the new rooms (and have the $$$) stay there. If you can't get a new room, pass on Land's End and stay elsewhere. There was a Best Western down the road a short ways that looked fine and cost significantly less.

wagsdvm Jun 9th, 2003 12:42 PM

Mileking, what bear viewing company did you go with? Also, what type of fishing skills do you need for salmon (I really have absolutely no idea!). We will be going to the Kenai peninsula for 10 days in August and plan to stay in Seward & Homer. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Connie Jun 9th, 2003 01:57 PM

They have a technique for salmon fishing that I have never seen before. It wasn't hard--just different. We sat and watched a while before we started fishing. They were basically throwing the line straight out in front of them and swooping it across the river towards themselves.

It takes pretty heavy tackle for these big fish. If someone doesn't answer that question here, I would call a local tackle store to see what to bring.

Of course, if you hire a guide they will have everything you need.

One of the most popular places (because there are fish there) is the confluence of the Russian and Kenai Rivers at Cooper Landing. If you park by the bridge and take a trail through the woods on the east side, you will find a place with fewer people.

MileKing Jun 9th, 2003 02:39 PM

We went with Bald Mountain Air (www.baldmountainair.com) out of Homer. I see the price has gone up quite a bit since my father and I were there 3 years ago, but this is possibly a once in a lifetime type of thing.

For Salmon fishing, we used a guide (Gary Kernan). See alaskafishon .com. I would recommend him. We did a half-day trip and my father caught a 35 lb. king salmon...mine, of course, got away. You don't need any special skills. They supply all equipment and show even the novice, like myself, how to fish for the salmon. They take you out on the river in a small motor boat and you fish. A lot of the time you sit waiting for a bite.

In Seward, if you are into seeing marine life and glaciers, you can take a day cruise with Kenai Fjord Tours. There is another large tour company there too, but we were very pleased with Kenai Fjords. If you go, take the 8 or 9 hour cruise. The shorter cruises (5-6 hours) do not get out of the bay. We saw dolphins, whales, sea otters, and more. Well worth it.

wagsdvm Jun 9th, 2003 03:11 PM

Thanks for the information.

banares Jun 11th, 2003 08:28 AM

If you happen to be in the Homer area during negative tide, explore the tide pools to see weird-looking creatures.

Topper Jun 11th, 2003 11:53 AM

Doh!