Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Hollywood, Florida a cool place to live? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-hollywood-florida-a-cool-place-to-live-245998/)

Frank Aug 4th, 2002 06:40 PM

Is Hollywood, Florida a cool place to live?

I've been in various parts of Broward County, Florida but just never got down to the Hollywood area. I've heard it's been vastly renovated, and an extremely vibrant area to live in.....so, those in the know...what can you tell me about Hollywood, Florida??? (nice beach? good nightlife? restaurants? activities? mix of people there?....nice area to live?...etc..)

xx Aug 4th, 2002 07:01 PM

Depends where in Hollywood. If you are referring to the Beach area, then there is plenty of little motels, a boardwalk, restaurants, clubs and beach stores. This is the French Canadian Beach of Florida. One can stay there and never have to speak English. Average age of people on the Beach is 60<BR><BR>Vibrant area? I personnally think Ft Lauderdale or Miami are more vibrant.

Floridian Aug 4th, 2002 07:04 PM

Hollywood Florida is not a "cool" place, its a "hot" place. Afterall this is Florida. In the 90's today.

rp Aug 4th, 2002 08:02 PM

well, I moved to Hollywood from NYC and I will admit it was quite an adjustment. BUT I have since found it to be a good place. I live west of the downtown area, but still on the east side of town. Downtown is up and coming. There are some good resturants and blues clubs. I don't know how "cool" it is...but one of the best things about it is that it between ft.lauderdale and miami. I am close to i-95 and the turnpike...so it's a great location to get to and from anywhere. THe beach is nice, on the weekends it's lively. Lots of families moving in. Nightlife....eh...not really..O'hara's in good. One Night Stan's had Tito Puente recently...but if you want clubs...it's south beach or ft lauderdale.

what is cool Aug 5th, 2002 03:20 AM

The only thing cool about Hollywood is it is close to Ft. Lauderdale, which is totally a cool place.

Frank Aug 6th, 2002 03:59 PM

Thank you for the input...most welcome! And yes, I know Florida is "hot" in weather (lol)...I just meant if it was a nice place to live. I had heard that there was alot of renovating going on in the area, alot of younger people moving in, and alot of new things coming into the downtown area...sounded like they were trying to make it into the next "in" area like Ft Lauderdale is....Are things generally within walking distance in that area, or do you always have to drive? How is the public transit (BCT) down in that general area (Hollywood and surrounding communities) doable? or totally impractical??? Any new feedback will be welcome...thanks....

xny'r Aug 6th, 2002 05:56 PM

Yes, they are trying to build up the downtown area...lots of new construction and storefronts opening up. Why don't you take a trip down..flights are pretty cheap, dependingo n where you are coming from..Nothing like a first hand look. As for public transit. Never took it. Buses do run...perhaps check the hollywood chamber of commerce for more info.

Julie Aug 6th, 2002 09:04 PM

My mother used to live there and I used to visit. It seems like it would be a "cool place" if you're 70 or older.

L Aug 7th, 2002 03:28 AM

I was there last winter and the beach area has not changed much over the years except for a few stores that closed down. Average age is still the same (60's). There is some nice places around the canal. Don't know about the bus transportation.

broeard Aug 7th, 2002 11:11 AM

Hollywood is not "vibrant". They are trying to hard to be hip, but that backfires !! Average age is 80 !!

meagain Aug 7th, 2002 11:41 AM

Hi...o.k. there are PLENTY of seniors in Hollywood, but we are talking about south florida, so that should be no surprise. And you mentioned specifically broward county. So for broward county...it either fort lauderdale beach or hollywood. There is no other downtown area I know of in Broward beside these two.<BR><BR>However, there is an artists community, I know, I am part of it. It has taken me a few years, but I have made good, dear friends, we go out and have fun, see films, and eat Thai food, a requirement in my eyes. Hollywood can be an o.k. place to live. If you are young and single, you might prefer Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami Beach. Hollywood extremely vibrant...no...but come and see for yourself. Jet Blue has flights fromNYC that are affordable.

peg leg Aug 7th, 2002 12:13 PM

You must be joking, right? Nightlife ends around 5:00 p.m. with the earlybird specials.

Me again Aug 7th, 2002 07:54 PM

Sorry Peg...I guess you're out of the loop..as a matter of fact I just got back from an incredibly vibrant...yes VIBRANT place near the beach...OPA tavern...people dancing on the tables and everything..and it's a Wed night, a greek tavern, great food, music, fun atmosphere...and just try to get in on a Saturday night...sorry you're on the senior circut...maybe you should check it out!

Carol Aug 7th, 2002 09:37 PM

Don't know that you could consider Hollywood "cool". BUT, any time that we are in that area of FL we make sure to go to a certain Italian restaurant (can't remember the name of it!). BUT, it's right on the "circle" that's in the middle of town. <BR><BR>This place is just like being in the old Frank Sinatra type places in NJ and NY. Hope you can manage to find the place. If I can think of the name of it, I'll post again.

Ken Aug 7th, 2002 10:24 PM

And the new beachfront Westin Diplomat Hotel is quite a gorgeos place, too!!

Frank Aug 8th, 2002 03:08 PM

Enjoyed the latest additional postings (and thanks to all who are contributing!). Well, except for a few detractors (I think they are just trying to be funny...lol) it sounds like it wouldn't be a bad place to live, with some very interesting restaurants, bars, and other types of stores, and will likely only getting better with all the improvements coming in downtown. I realize it is not Ft Lauderdale...but sounds like an intersting area to live, and of course Ft Lauderdale isn't far away. Part of what also interested me in the area is that it looks like it has a beautiful beach, and there are quite a few very nice "high rise" apartment buildings there (I am in NY and used to "high rise" style living) so I like that too! Any comments on how the BCT bus service is down in that part of Broward (i.e....could you survive without a car there?) and any other general comments about the nice aspects of the area would be appreciated) I am planning to personally visit the area on my next visit there for a "first hand look"....

Danny Aug 9th, 2002 05:51 PM

Hollywood is on the upswing (as is a lot of south Florida), but single family housing is expensive in the eastern part of the city. For all practical purposes there is no public transportation in Broward county. At least none you can rely on for day-to-day activities.

Frank Aug 9th, 2002 07:37 PM

Glad to hear that Hollywood is on the "upswing"...well yes, that's what I had been reading and hearing about it. Sorry to hear that BCT busses aren't any better down there in South Broward. I had some first hand experience with it in the North end of Broward (where my dad lives) and found that although the buses are very nice and comfortable, the scheduling is poor (many buses run 30 min or even 45 minutes apart...some lines stop running very early, like say 6 pm and few lines run past 10 pm) really a shame...sure doesn't help to encourage people to get out of their cars!<BR>Well, looks like if I move there I will have to get a car again (grrrrr...) But I definately will check out the Hollywood area when I come down again (I did see some nice apartments in that area on the web, in that area that are pretty reasonable in rent....including some hi-rise type buildings as well).....

xxx Aug 10th, 2002 04:20 PM

Hi I'm looking to relocate too. I'm a 30-something single, would like to live in a highrise waterfront condo in Broward. Can anyone recommend a good area. How about Galt Ocean Mile, is that mostly retirees? Unfortunately I cant afford luxury, so those million dollar beautiful new bldgs in Ft Lauderdale are out. Thanks!

old fogey Aug 10th, 2002 05:43 PM

Hollywood is okay if you think that the Tonight Show is still being hosted by Jack Parr.