Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is hiking in the crater in Hawaii different than Maui's?

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Will we get a different experience walking in the Kilauea Crater on the BI and the Haleakala Crater on Maui? Should we do both? I'm trying to keep some relax time in our trip and We will be exploring VNP on the BI. We were thinking about hiking around Haleakala one morning but not if it will seem like "more of the same"

Thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:48 AM

The Haleakala caldera with its dozens of ash mounts is visually stunning, much moreso than the actual crater of Kilauea. Don't miss it.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I agree with fdecarlo, Haleakala Crater is much more visually beautiful. We have hike it twice and I am still in awe of its beauty.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Haleakala crater, from what I have been told, is an extinct volano. (I haven't been there myself, but friends have.)

Kilauea crater is very much an active crater. At Kilauea, you will see steam coming from the vents, and the ground will be hot to the touch. The bigger caldera, which is visible from several overlooks in the park, is just amazing.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:22 AM

ChristieP - a slight correction: Haleakala is a dormant (sleeping)volcano, it is not extinct. It last erupted over 200 years ago (some say during George Washington's presidency). And, it may erupt again sometime in the next hundred years.

I have taken the horseback ride down into Haleakala crater, and it is truly amazing.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the correction. Still a crater in either a dormant or extinct volcano is VERY different than an active one. I was just amazed with Kilauea!

Maui is the next island I want to see, and I'll definitely do the horseback ride into Haleakala.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I hiked the Kilauea Iki trail (which goes across the Kilauea Iki crater, not the main, HUGE one) in VNP and LOVED it. The whole time you're not on the crater floor you're in rainforest. Across the crater floor there is already plantlife starting to creep out of the cracks, even as it's still steaming. Amazing place and it's so much better to see it up close, rather than from an overlook.

I didn't get up to Haleakala but I thought with the high altitude there wasn't a lot of vegetation? You'll see cinder cones galore though.