Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   is hearst castle a must see ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-hearst-castle-a-must-see-795467/)

berlac81 Jul 14th, 2009 09:28 AM

is hearst castle a must see ?

Is the hearst castle really a must see on the drive up the PCH ? If so, how much time is needed for the stop ?

Christina Jul 14th, 2009 09:29 AM

no, it is not

sf7307 Jul 14th, 2009 09:38 AM

I think it is! There are different tours available, so not sure about the time requirement.

suze Jul 14th, 2009 10:00 AM

I vote yes

dfr4848 Jul 14th, 2009 10:03 AM

Another yes vote. It's a unique place - nothing else like it. And yes the tours vary quite a bit, so you can pick ones that suit your interest and schedule.

Suzanne2 Jul 14th, 2009 10:09 AM

I am also voting yes. How can you drive by without stopping? I do not recommend it for small children though. They have different tours so time can vary. We spent about 3 hours there.

KayF Jul 14th, 2009 11:09 AM

Yes, we have been there once and would go again but do a different tour. Our guide was really good and made it so interesting.

Kay

Barbara Jul 14th, 2009 11:09 AM

Another yes vote. I'd agree that it's not a good place to take small children. Also, there are a LOT of steps, so if that would be a problem, then give it a miss.

hpeabody Jul 14th, 2009 11:20 AM

I think it is worth a stop. Look into booking tickets in advance if you can plan it. They have a website and people really do book ahead so time slots can fill up. Like others said, tour times vary. I recommend the basic tour for a first timer.

lcuy Jul 14th, 2009 11:22 AM

If you are driving the PCH, I say it's a must see. A peek into a different era and (for most of us) a totally different lifestyle. Book ahead if possible.

Dayenu Jul 14th, 2009 12:30 PM

You stop at the welcome center, and take one of their tours. For us, the center itself with the castle movie was enough, we didn't take the bus/walk tour. Four "no" votes from our family :)

lcuy Jul 14th, 2009 12:36 PM

Faina - your vote should only count 1/2, since as my mother always said, you can't dislike what you haven't tried!

>:-)

HKP Jul 14th, 2009 01:46 PM

Depends on your taste for the excessive and/or your sense of humor, and it helps to have some idea of Hollywood history. I found it really fascinating and would like to go back to take the tour we didn't have time for. Poke around the website a little, but remember those little pictures represent a very large estate.

HKP Jul 14th, 2009 01:47 PM

A half-day is the bare minimum, I'd estimate.

yk Jul 14th, 2009 03:14 PM

I was reading reviews on Tripadvisor, and seems like perhaps Tour #2 is better than Tour #1? It sounds like tour #1 is recommended for first-time visitors, but the group is large (40-50 people)? I read the description for Tour #2 and seems like it is more of my taste (<i>Tour Two focuses on the architectural elements and vast art collection in the main house, or Casa Grande. </i>)

Has anyone taken tour #1 and #2 or just #2 and what's your thought?

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack.

yk Jul 14th, 2009 03:18 PM

P.S. is there some place decent to eat lunch nearby? Looks like the visitors center has a snack bar but it looks rather pathetic on the website. Thanks.

Barbara Jul 14th, 2009 03:28 PM

Yes. Just 15 miles north on Highway 1 is Ragged Point Inn. Lovely lunches and wonderful views.

globetrotterxyz Jul 14th, 2009 05:02 PM

It's definitely worth a stop if you've never been there, even if you have a different taste in art as Hearst. The location/views are wonderful and it's interesting to see the opulence of the Neptune and Roman pools. We spent a little over a couple of hours there which included the tour and a bit of time at the visitor's center.

bratsandbeer Jul 14th, 2009 06:13 PM

Yes, stop if you can. It is worth the visit. We would have liked to have seen it on a night tour.

janisj Jul 14th, 2009 09:43 PM

<B>Yes!</B> d

Definitely pre-book which ever tour you choose. There are pros to each tour option, so whichever one(s) you can book for your specific date will be fine.

BTW -- In central/northern CA we don't call it PCH (or Pacific Coast Highway even). That is a SoCal "thing". You'll be on Hwy 1 . . . . .