Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Grand Wailea worth the extra money? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-grand-wailea-worth-the-extra-money-482750/)

dianebabs Oct 27th, 2004 06:32 AM

Is Grand Wailea worth the extra money?

i am going in a few weeks to maui. i have Renaissance booked as of right now. but keep reading about the fairmont and the GRand Wailea but I know it will be an extra 1000 or 1200 if i change. is it worth it?? HELP please..

TripleSecDelay Oct 27th, 2004 06:39 AM

Can you tell us what type of experience you seek?

If, for instance, you enjoy being an adult with a youthful heart, you may enjoy the swim-up bar, the intimate hot tub, the slides and such at GWR.

The disco, the bars, and the restaurants are open to non-guests so... a person can enjoy these and return to the Ren. The spa at GWR is to die for!

My two cents : Stay put and wander over to explore...

stever Oct 27th, 2004 06:58 AM

I'd save the money. That's ALOT of money difference!!! Go check it out in person, wander around, have a spa treatment and you'll be hundreds of dollars ahead of the game.

Steve

dianebabs Oct 27th, 2004 07:02 AM

That's what I needed to hear. I guess i will stay put at the Renaissance, reserve nice dinners at Nicks and at Grand Wailea and call it a day!! Thanks for the help.

laurelee Oct 27th, 2004 09:46 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance a few years ago-I loved it. I know it's cheaper than others around there-but it is still very nice. It has beautiful grounds, a nice pool and outdoor eating area, less crowded beach and very clean. I remember especially the music from the hotel lobby/bar area floating through the resort in the evening. It was quite magical with the torch lights and all. It was one of my favorite places to stay... I think you will like it very much and save alot of money. I'm jealous! Have fun.

dianebabs Oct 27th, 2004 11:21 AM

Thank you so much. Renaissance it is. I always tend to want to upgrade before I go on any trip, but I think I will be more than happy with the Renaissance and its natural beauty. Thank you everyone. Can't wait to leave. 20 days to go!

Suzie Oct 27th, 2004 12:22 PM

The Renaissance is located next to a great snorkeling spot. Ulua Beach is just to the right if you are in the ocean looking back to the hotel. We felt Ulua had the best snorkeling for us during our trip which included a trip to Molokini and Black Rock.

Have a great trip!!

travelinandgolfin Oct 27th, 2004 05:26 PM

Honestly, no. It's a very nice hotel, but a bit too sprawling for the cost mainlanders pay. I stay there on occasion, but only because of the discounts local residents get.

Kea Lani? Now that one may be worth the extra $$.

offlady Oct 28th, 2004 10:14 AM

Save your $. You can buy a "day pass" to swim at the Grand Wailea's fab pool if you so desire. You can also book the spa even if you are staying at another hotel. One thing I must say is that the grounds are sprawling, so everything is so fa-a-a-a-r away. The place is huge. I mean, the walk between the hotel room and the lobby, pool, or restaurant means you have to budget your time wisely!

snowrooster Oct 28th, 2004 10:29 AM

We stayed at Kea Lani a few years ago and loved it (unless things have changed, it is less $$ than Grand Wailiea). The beach and pool areas were lovely and more laid back at Kea Lani - plus you can't beat that all of their rooms are suites (and quite spacious) and the bathrooms are huge. Have a great trip!

girlonthego Oct 28th, 2004 11:11 AM

WE stayed at the Renassaince about 10 years ago and it was very nice. They had a big luau at their hotel. The Grand wailea is a gorgeous hotel. We wandered over and dined there. I can't see paying that much extra. I would definitely visit the Grand. But the Renassaince is a very nice hotel too.