Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Florida the only choice for cheap winter getaway?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Kris

My husband and I were fortunate enough to travel to Maui this past Feb. for a wonderful week in the sun, away from the frozen midwest. We'd like to get away again next winter, again for about a week, but need a much cheaper vacation this time around. We're just looking for warm temps, sun, and nature; prefer a quieter beach area (read: no college-students-on-spring-break type places) with snorkeling and boating activities. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Traveler

I know you said besides Florida, but how about the Keys. I love it there. I plan on moving there soon. If you stay away from Key West you can avoid the "spring-breakers". The rest of the keys have great snorkeling, not many beaches (usually at the hotels there are small ones) lots of sun and nature (hiking trails), Bahia Honda State Park has a great beach, and there is plenty of boating, look at it as a week to do nothing but relax.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:27 PM
GG

Surprising as it may sound at first, Kris, I think the answer to your question is 'no'.
I hardly consider the So Calif beaches warm and sunny and inviting in January-February.
Arizona and Palm Springs CAN be warm at times, but you'd have to settle for pools and artificial beaches.
I love Cabo San Lucas at that time, and the range of accommodations there is quite broad. Beach is among the best in this hemisphere (away from the really crowded cheaper hotels).
Cayman is great but expensive.

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Larry

I agree with the above poster about the Keys, and add that if you are going to go in February you won't have much of a problem running into spring breakers. Although I have never been, the Baha Mexico option (also suggested above) is certainly worth looking into- I've had friends really rave about it.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Brian in Atlanta

The answer is the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Fly to Cancun, but avoid Cancun and Cozumel if you want good prices. A few years back, we had a great stay in Playa del Carmen, about 45 minutes south of Cancun. Paid about $45 off-season for a nice beachfront room. Food and drink were very inexpensive (like 3 beers for about $1!) and the town had a great small beach village feel to it. Easy bus rides to Mayan ruin sites. And the water and beach were fantastic.

I've heard that there's been a good amount of build-up there (PDC), so you may want to look at some of the smaller towns nearby for cheap accomodations (Tulum, etc.).

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Ilovethekeys

Traveler ([email protected]):

Shhhhhhhh...I think we should keep the Keys a secret...

Okay all you travellers...the Keys is an awful place to go..you don't want to go there...it's expensive, it's hot, etc., etc...Don't go there...it's full of tourists, roosters, all kinds of horrible things...

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 03:01 PM
Sidney

I like the Keys also, but with the advent of cruise ships and more and more people, they are becoming crowded and expensive. How about the out Islands of the Bahammas? Harbor Island, Eleuthera, Bimini, stay away from Nassau and Freeport.

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:07 PM
elcheapo

florida is expensive in winter ( Nov-Mar) and cheap in summer (june-Sept)
you must have gotten your info from someone downunduh

Old May 2nd, 2001, 03:58 AM
Parrot Mom

In more than 20 years of February vacations we have NEVER been to Florida..There is no reason you can't fly charter to a lovely tropical carribean island.. This year and last we went to the Dominican Republic..this year Punta Cana with the 20 mile beach and last year La Romana..more than affordable..Check out the charters such as Apple that leave from the mid-west.. We meet alot of mid-Westerners and Canadians in the Carribean..

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Traveler

For the most part, you definitely get more bang for your buck outside of the U.S. and in the Caribbean. Besides, most islands are fare more gorgeous and the cultures you experience far surpass any plastic bubble experience in Florida.

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Huh?

ROOSTERS?

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:31 PM
sue

try aruba!check out the wyndham on palm beach