Is downtown the best place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming up to seattle in april and are planning on getting a hotel through priceline. is the best place for hotels downtown? I have read alot of your messages on things to do like Pike's place or walk along 1st avenue. Are both of these places located downtown? We were not planning on getting a rental car unless we head up to vancouver. So if you could help us with advice on this I would appreciate it.

Also about nightclubs. our ages range from 35-50 and were looking for some nightlife activities. we read about Jazz alley and wanted to go see a band there but what about afterwards. Are there any nightclubs that play old school are a place where folks our age can go dance to that kind of music. Or even an upscale nightclub where the kids do not go.

Thanks
Soames
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Yes, you do want to stay "downtown." Pike Place market, Jazz Alley, and most other thiings are right downtown. You will need to reserve in advance for Jazz Alley (for some performers, well in advance). You might want to post again with "Seattle" and "night clubs" in the title. If you truly want to dance (i.e., ballroom, swing, Lindy, salsa, or whatever) mention that too. Seattle has a very active dance "community", and there is dancing somewhere almost every night. Most of this would not be downtown, but the Washington Dance Club is just a few blocks from some hotels: http://www.washingtondance.com/
You could also check the guide at
http://seattle.about.com/cs/nightclub/ for other options.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, Pike Place Market and 1st Avenue are both downtown. If you will not have a car I think a downtown hotel is what you would want to get.

You might also like to check the schedule at the Triple Door as well as Jazz Alley.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM

It's been a couple of years since we did this, but we pricelined our way into the Westin in Seattle. A co-worker has done so twice. Excellent choice to try it and stay downtown - lots to do, and bus used to be free in that area, and may still be.
VS
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Yes, the bus is free in the downtown core area.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I think a fun thing to do is the Teatro Zinzanni ( check the website)
Its a dinner show/ interative - not dancing but very entertaining and it is downtown
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Yes, stay downtown and you can walk to most things here except the Space Needle. I agree about Jazz Alley and the Triple Door, good venues. Check online for who is playing to get tickets. The Pampas Room is under El Gaucho restaurant on first and is a good place for a slightly older crowd. Check Seattle Weekly online for music.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM

For a first time visit, if you are willing to part with a little $$ take a look at the Edgewater Inn. Its right down on the water and the Pier area, and within easy walking of Pike Place Mkt. and other attractions.

They used to advertise "fish from your window", but I think that is a thing of the past.