Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Denver worth it? Not a troll post--really. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-denver-worth-it-not-a-troll-post-really-491458/)

mattydale Dec 19th, 2004 06:56 AM

Is Denver worth it? Not a troll post--really.

I admit this is a fairly silly question, but I would appreciate any insight. I am going on a ski trip to Vail with friends in February. We are flying in and out of Denver airport. My friends are planning on finishing skiing, returning straight to the airport and getting out of Dodge, so to speak. But I thought it might be fun to spend an extra day actually seeing Denver--since I have the vacation time from work anyway.

But I know nothing about Denver. Is it worth it for me to spend an extra 24 hours there by myself? Can I see what there is to see in that city in that short a time? Or are Denver's charms more in the outlying areas?

I apologize (especially to Denver natives) for my ignorance. But I could use the advice--thanks!

Matt

abram Dec 19th, 2004 10:01 AM

Skiing is my favorite thing; I could never give up a day of skiing for sightseeing, no matter where I was.

Jocelyn_P Dec 19th, 2004 10:25 AM

Depending on your age and interests, you may find Boulder more interesting than Denver. Boulder is a college town with funky shops and great people-watching. To me, Denver itself isn't that unique, but if you enjoy big cities in general, it would certainly be worth a day.

Hazelmn Dec 19th, 2004 10:36 AM

Denver is a bit plain. Nothing wrong with it, there are certainly all the attractions of any major metro area (museums, good dining, sports). But if it was my time, I'd maximize the amount of time in the mountains.

One option would be to hit one of the ski resorts along I-70(?) on the way back to Denver. It has been a while since I've been there, but I think Breckenridge might be one that would be on the way back from Vail. Maybe a good place to stop and catch some add'l skiing. And there would certainly be shuttles that you could ride in from Vail back to DIA, so if your friends were already gone it wouldn't leave you stranded.

Hazelmn Dec 19th, 2004 10:40 AM

Sorry, I meant that there would be shuttles that will go from Breckenridge (or any major ski area) back to DIA.

All, after a quick reference on the map, I think Copper Mtn might be a better bet. Right off I-70, your friends could drop you off and you would have a great day of powder while they are waiting in a security line at the airport.

beentheretwice Dec 19th, 2004 12:13 PM

What, and miss the house where Unsinkable MOlly Brown lived?

Tess Dec 19th, 2004 12:45 PM

mattydale,

Denver is fascinating to me because I love history and it's chock full of Old West history. A poster referred to Molly Brown's house--that's a fun tour. Doing a walking tour through downtown Denver is also a neat way to spend an afternoon--make sure you stop at the Brown Palace. If you're interested I can give you some other tips (as can Denverites, I'm sure). The Museum of Natural History is close to downtown and an enjoyable place to spend a few hours.

mattydale Dec 19th, 2004 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input. Still mulling my options, but this is very helpful advice. I appreciate it!

LoveItaly Dec 19th, 2004 01:36 PM

Mattydale, I have never been to Denver but had friends that went their last year for the first time due to a business conference. Their only complaint was that they did not have enough time on their own to enjoy Denver as much as they would have liked to. They raved about Denver!