Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is Charleston a "must see"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-charleston-a-must-see-495526/)

PetHead36 Jan 14th, 2005 07:52 PM

Is Charleston a "must see"?

I am planning on spending some time in the Savannah area in late April, and was wondering if Charleston is absloutely a must. If so, how much time should be spent there?

-thanks

dfrostnh Jan 15th, 2005 02:22 AM

We only had a day because we needed to stay over a Sat night. Explore the straw market area. Sit on one of the swinging benches that look out on the water. Take a carriage ride. We flew into Charleston to visit another place but stopped for lunch at Summerfield, an old tea plantation. The service was gracious, the building was beautiful, and the food was wonderful. I wondered if sitting in that wicker chair with the ceiling fans slowly whirling felt the same as it did 100 years ago Our visit was in early October. I'd like to go back to see the gardens in Spring.

HowardR Jan 15th, 2005 05:27 AM

Though Savannah is certainly worth seeing, to me, Charleston is more of a "must see." And, to reall see Charleston, you need at least 2-3 days.

Gretchen Jan 15th, 2005 05:30 AM

Go to Charleston instead of Savannah.

diann Jan 15th, 2005 05:37 AM

We just returned from Charleston. I would say 3 days would be enough. I think it is worth seeing. It is mostly shopping, and some very good restaurants. We ate at Blossoms, and the Noisy Oyster for lunch. Take a carriage ride. They are informative and full of info and history as well. We also went to a plantation tour outside of town. (Magnolia house was the name of this.)

earlxx Jan 15th, 2005 05:37 AM

Both are beautiful. Choose whatever fits your schedule. You cannot go wrong with any of these two places.

bob_brown Jan 15th, 2005 05:57 AM

I would classify Charleston as a "nice see". I rate Savannah as a "why see?"

I suppose it all depends on your perspective of what is high on your list.

SusanCS Jan 15th, 2005 08:10 AM

I much prefer Charleston to Savannah.

GoTravel Jan 15th, 2005 08:21 AM

Ditto with Susan. Charlston has superior shopping, dining, and attractions.

Architectually, they are equal.

sequess Jan 15th, 2005 10:27 AM

Though I might prefer Charleston slightly, I think both cities are must see's if you want to see elements of the Old South. The architecture and gardens of both cities are outstanding.

leahinsc Jan 15th, 2005 11:24 AM

Pethead - great time to visit before it gets too hot. Like many of the other post-ers I prefer CHarleston over Savannah. Lived in Beaufort - between both, for almost 2 years, actually closer to Savannah but Charleston was always a better trip. More restaurants, better shops, cleaner...

kcapuani Jan 15th, 2005 12:34 PM

I visited Savannah about 3 years ago because of a slight obsession with "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". As an afterthought, my husband and I drove up to Charleston and spent 2 nights. I found that I enjoyed Charleston much more and wished that I had spent an extra couple of nights. On the other hand, I easily saw Savannah in 2 days (the major sites - Forsyth Park, Mercer House and other historic homes, Bonaventure Cemetery, Riverwalk, City Market etc.)

slipperblue Jan 15th, 2005 12:56 PM

I realize this may not be an apples to apples comparison - but I have a question. I'm looking for a nice anniversary destination for the end of April. I'd considered San Antonio, but maybe Charleston would be a good choice? Anyone who has been to both that could give me an opinion? We like a combination of activity & R&R - and some warm weather & water would be nice.

GoTravel Jan 15th, 2005 01:07 PM

Generalizing, both cities are comparable in arcitechture and gardens but Charleston is superior when it comes to shopping, dining, and attractions.

Both were port cities during the Civil War.

Michele2 Jan 15th, 2005 02:04 PM

I preferred Charleston to Savannah based primarily on the cleanliness of the city and variety of things to do. We enjoyed the carriage ride as it was very informative and Charleston is very walkable, with lovely architecture and great restaurants.
Blueslipper- I enjoyed both Charleston and San Antonio, so it is hard to suggest one over the other. Probably I would have to say San Antonio though because of their Riverwalk. I loved all the out door dining, small shops and jazz clubs along the winding river adorned with small white lights at night. (I may also be swayed because I am from the Virginia so the Southwestern/Mexican influence was interesting and very different for me.) If you go, do take the riverwalk cruise tour as it was most informative and fun. Either city, you should have a wonderful anniversary.

jwr Jan 15th, 2005 03:20 PM

Not to take anything away from Savannah, but her historic district is only a fraction of Charleston's. You could do the historic district of Chas. in 3 days, but certainly not "Charleston" as a whole. There are plantations and other sites outside of downtown.
To hear someone reduce "the holy city", as it is known, to "shopping and restaurants" is quite sad and a testiment to someone probably only having seen King Street and The Market area. These are nice, but NOT Charleston.
Stay downtown somewhere, and walk, walk, walk. The homes, gardens, alleyways, architecture and history are everywhere. You could spend a day in the centuries-old graveyards of downtown, being thoroughly entertained by the tombstones. Walking around the residential boroughs of the old city you realize just how "old-Europe" Charleston is. The real Charleston , that is, not the touristy one.

kcapuani Jan 15th, 2005 03:52 PM

slipperblue - I also preferred Charleston to San Antonio. It is such a rich and romantic city. Plus it is on the water as opposed to San Antonio, which is about 2 hours from the gulf.

jacketwatch Jan 15th, 2005 04:16 PM

FWIW Charleston was voted as the US city with the most friendly and polite people. It was noted in the news today. Check CNN. :-)

carolyn Jan 15th, 2005 04:19 PM

Charleston is my favorite southern city to visit. I've been to Savannah a couple of times and have no desire to go again, but I could go to Charleston every spring.