Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is an extra day in S.F. worth it if I have a 4:00 flight? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-an-extra-day-in-s-f-worth-it-if-i-have-a-4-00-flight-720956/)

julies Jul 15th, 2007 07:23 AM

Is an extra day in S.F. worth it if I have a 4:00 flight?

I'm debating between flights and days to go home. If I stay an extra day, I will have to take a Monday 4:00 pm flight out. If we are staying at a Fisherman's Wharf hotel, realistically what time would I have to leave downtown to catch my plane? I would have preferred BART because there is no possibility of traffic delays, but there isn't a station close to the hotel. So, I guess it will probably be a taxi or shuttle. I am not one of those people who has to be to the airport super early, but I also don't want to cut it so close I'd miss my flight.

Bottom line is I am wondering if so much of the day will be lost to just getting to the airport and flying home if it will be worth staying an extra day. Thanks.

happytrailstoyou Jul 15th, 2007 07:50 AM

Off hand I would say go home the day before, but I don't know when you arrive in San Francisco.

janisj Jul 15th, 2007 08:52 AM

w/ a 4:00 flight you'd want to be at SFO by about 2:00-2:15 (unless it is an international flight)

At that time of day a taxi would only take about 15-20 minutes. So sure, you'd have a good bit of time to do something in the a.m. and have a nice lunch before heading to the airport. Just depends on how much you want to get home early.

kleroux Jul 15th, 2007 09:20 AM

I can't believe a taxi would be 15/20 minutes from Fisherman's Wharf to SFO... no matter what time of day. Take into consideration possible delays in flights arriving and departing that occur later in the day. Stay if you'd like a quiet morning in SF.

janisj Jul 15th, 2007 09:27 AM

Yes - 15 minutes is a bit optimistic :)

But last monday early afternoon I made it from the south end of the bridge to the Hyatt south of SFO in 20 minutes. Maybe count on 30 to be safe.

StuDudley Jul 15th, 2007 09:45 AM

If you have only carry-ons and if you can print your bording pass the day before, no need to be at the airport more than 1 hr before flight time. My Father-in-Law did that this past Friday. Security is almost a non-event now at SFO. Most flights leave earlier in the day, so 4:00 shouldn't be too crowded. Plan on 40 mins (shouldn't be more than 20-30) from the Wharf to SFO if you have a taxi driver who knows the best routes.

I would try to spend as much time in The City as possible.

Stu Dudley

julies Jul 15th, 2007 09:52 AM

Thanks. This is one of those long week-end deals. Friends and I are going to the wine country; some of them are going to stay in the city for several days afterwards. As for me, it would basically be middle to late afternoon on Sunday until the flight would leave on Mon. Thanks agian for the input.

MelissaHI Jul 15th, 2007 11:45 PM

I often take a 4 or 5 p.m. flight out of SFO, it gives me some time to relax and enjoy the city one last time before leaving. I've managed to squeeze in a leisurely visit to Chinatown AND the Ferry Building (catching the #1 bus from Clay St. to the Embarcadero, which comes every 6 minutes or less) with the day before me!

jtrandolph Jul 17th, 2007 03:10 PM

You don't need to cross BART off your list. Just take a short taxi ride from your hotel in Fisherman's Wharf to the BART Embarcadero Station.

StuDudley Jul 17th, 2007 04:51 PM

>>Just take a short taxi ride from your hotel in Fisherman's Wharf to the BART Embarcadero Station.<<

And tip the taxi driver generously.

Stu Dudley

GerdaFaust Jul 17th, 2007 06:12 PM

You could have an early lunch at the Slanted Door, in the Ferry Building. The restaurant opens at 11am, I believe; you can get there about 20 minutes early, stand in line, and eat at the bar without a reservation.

lifelist Jul 17th, 2007 07:11 PM

How much luggage do you have? Public transit is an option from Fisherman's Wharf - take a street car down the Embarcadero (F line?), and hop on BART at the Embarcadero station. Or, if you have a lot of luggage, do as suggested and take a cab.

So, you'll have the entire morning and lunch in the city before you have to head for the airport.

hills27 Jul 17th, 2007 07:42 PM

Another night of eating in SF would be worth it to me. :-)

hills27 Jul 17th, 2007 07:43 PM

And lunch at the Slanted Door would seal the deal...yum!

djkbooks Jul 17th, 2007 11:23 PM

Leaving the next day will give you the evening and next morning. You'd have to store your bags at the hotel.

I'm one who prefers to allow lots of extra time, so would pick up the bags at head to the airport no later than 1PM - a generous hour to get to the airport and a generous 2 hours to get to the gate and board.

You could always taxi to the Bart Station. Or take a bus/trolley/streetcar. But, a taxi to the airport would probably be the most efficient.

True, you do not have to be there super early but do not want to cut it too close.

Again, leaving the next day will give you the entire evening and next morning.

julies Jul 18th, 2007 05:33 AM

Thanks again for the extra input. I am planning to just have one carry-on size suitcase so the BART option could work for me. And, I am very comfortable arriving at the airport one hour ahead of time. About how far is the Embarcadero BART station from Fisherman's Wharf? Realistically though, is the BART idea the best as far as guaranteeing I can get to the airport in a reasonable amount of time? I guess what I am asking is, once I get to the BART station how long will it take to the airport? Or, if I just did the taxi deal from the hotel how long would I need to allow just in case there would be horrendous traffic?

Finally, please tell me more about the Slanted Door. Thanks.

lifelist Jul 18th, 2007 11:23 AM

The BART website has a travel planner. Departing the Embarcadero station at 1:58 p.m. on a Monday (July 23 for example) arrives at SFO at 2:31 p.m. The fare is $5.15. There are trains to SFO every 15 minutes, if you miss one.

www.bart.gov

I take BART all the time to get to the airport (OAK or SFO) and it's very reliable. The only time I don't is when I have lots of luggage or am traveling outside of BART's operating hours.

There's also a transit planner for the SF Bay Area:

http://transit.511.org/index.asp

You can enter the address of your hotel, and then your destination, and it'll tell you all the public transit options.

FainaAgain Jul 18th, 2007 12:16 PM

BART is probably most dependable in going to SFO. Taxi is probably 2nd. And a shuttle is the last.

With a carry-on only, you can take a bus. 2 pm is not a peak time. If you post the name of your hotel, I can look it up - of there are any dependable buses (running often and not too packed)

hills27 Jul 18th, 2007 07:32 PM

The Slanted Door is a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant in the Ferry Building. Love, love, love the shaking beef, the carpaccio, and the vegetarian spring rolls. Make reservations, but if you are alone you may be able to eat at the bar without them.