Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Albany, New York a good place to live for families with young children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of our children is considering relocating to Albany, New York. They are a family with two grade school children, and have always lived in the Midwest. Would appreciate any comments regarding schools, health care, housing, and any other information you think might be important.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:58 AM
J62

Yes, the greater Albany, NY area is a very nice place to live. Good schools, good shopping & restaurants, lots of outdoor activities all 4 seasons. The 1st Trader Joes in the area open up any day now!

Where in town would the breadwinner be working?

When people from out of town say 'Albany' that generally refers to jobs anywhere from downtown Albany (a lot of Gov't jobs), on the west side in the Gov't or University areas, so some of the pharma, energy, or tech companies as far north as Saratoga.

That can influence what part of the are to look for housing based on commute and schools. There are good suburban school districts on the south, west, north, and far north areas.

I am happy to answer general questions here on fodors, and if you wish to take the discussion offline for more specific info, you can email me at j62ny at yahoo.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:14 AM

J62 touches on a useful point: where will the breadwinner be working? I assume the family is moving for business and/or professional reasons, presumably a promotion or other advantage, in which case they will find plenty of places to live near colleagues in similar circumstances.

I would strongly encourage them not to make a final community choice until they have some time in the renting. What looks good to a new arrival often turns out to be less good once they have a better feel for shopping, commuting, and especially schools.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM

You say coming from the midwest - so presumably they are used to real winters. Just so you know Albany is on the southern edge of the snow belt that runs across the northern part of NY and New England.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Sorry - I mention this since I worked with a client in Cincy but that part of Ohio doesn't seem to get much snow - and even a couple of inches closes the town down. Albany often gets a lot and things won't close except for a real blizaard.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 06:33 AM
J62

During a typical winter in Albany there is snow on the ground continuously most of the winter. A warm spell may melt most of it, but you'll know it's winter by looking out the window. Not on the roads, but at least on the fields & lawns. I'd say there are usually 2-4 more significant snow events (6"+) that will cancel school if on a weekday, and make getting around that day difficult. Since road crews are very prepared, except for a blizzard or very large snowfall > 12" the town rarely shuts down. Once the snowfall stops major roads are generally passable within just a few hours or less. I've never found winter to cause any extended road problems - you just need to stay off the roads when it's actively accumulating.

There are usually another 1/2 dozen minor snowfalls - anything from a dusting to a few inches. These may delay the start of school for a few hrs, but rarely cause any trouble.

Employers in the area are well aware of winter conditions, and most give employees the flexibility of working from home, coming in late, or leaving early if weather dictates.

This past winter was an exception - I think there were only 1 or 2 snowfalls all winter, and the ground was bare all winter. It really hurt the local winter sports industry (downhill and XC skiing).
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM

As a native New Yorker, I can tell you a little about Albany. As part of Capitol Area,you have the three major cities along with Troy and Schenectady. First off, the aiport services Southwest Airlines, which is a huge bonus. You also have Amtrak service too, and it's a short ride to NYC or Montreal.

The area is rich with colleges and universities, so cultutal opportunities abound. I believe the Albany Medical Center is a teaching school and is well recommended. http://www.amc.edu/

A little up the road is Saratoga http://www.saratoga.com/ a summertime destination for performing arts and horse racing fans. It is one of the most beautiful tracks in the world and the town has local charm and great food!

I am not that familiar with downtown Albany, other than the Empire State Plaza, which Gov. Nelson A Rockerfeller created for his massive art collection. http://www.albanyny.org/Visitors/Thi...dCultures.aspx I believe there has been a move to re-develop/ parts of the downtown inner city that like so many cites in the 70's were hit hard by businesses moving to the malls.

One thing that I can attest to is the NYS Regent's school program and the State University system.

Finally, I can not say enough about the Hudson River Valley,still one of the most beautiful places on earth. And a short car ride across the border and you are in New England (Vermont) or Great Barrington, MASS.

Let me know if you have any other questions!