Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is air conditioning a necessity in Kaui, Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-air-conditioning-a-necessity-in-kaui-hawaii-289965/)

goNets Feb 17th, 2003 07:33 PM

Is air conditioning a necessity in Kaui, Hawaii

Hi. My fiance and I are considering staying at the Koloa Landing Cottages in late May. The problem is that the place we're considering doesn't have air conditioning, only ceiling fans. The folks there assure us that with the ceiling fans and trade winds we'll be comfortable. Personally, I prefer to sleep without air conditioning whenever possible, but I, and my fiance, will be miserable if it's too hot to sleep.<BR>Any thoughts on how comfortable sleeping is without air conditioning there?<BR>thanks.

MonicaRichards Feb 17th, 2003 09:49 PM

We found it fine in Kaui about that time of year without air conditioning EXCEPT for the d*&amp;^ roosters that start crowing at 3am. For that you want to be able to close your windows, and it will get a bit warm without air conditioning.

goNets Feb 18th, 2003 09:03 AM

Thanks Monica. I guess I'll have to ask if they have roosters in the general vicinity.

Suzie Feb 18th, 2003 09:42 AM

We stayed in a condo in Poipu with windows that faced west in Sept which is listed as having the highest temps. We did not have air conditioning but did have ceiling fans. We used the fans but did not feel we needed the air conditioning. Keep in mind, we hail from the hot cnetral valley of CA so we were already used to some pretty hot weather. Oh but it's a dry heat!<BR><BR>Go Kings. : )

nicknik Feb 20th, 2003 11:57 AM

We went in early may, 10 th to be exact and the trade winds were not blowing it was modertly humid, i for one like to be cool when i sleep and booked all my hotels with air. i was glad for we met some folks that stayed in much more expensive rooms with no air and were somewhat uncomfortable. the locals stated that it was rare but does happen from time to time, no trade winds. for me a/c. nick

Rusty Feb 20th, 2003 01:00 PM

There are wild roosters everywhere in Kauai !

RachelG Feb 20th, 2003 06:30 PM

I don't think it's ever uncomfortably hot in Kauai. As long as you have a ceiling fan, you should be fine. The roosters are another issue.

goNets Feb 24th, 2003 07:04 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like we'll be fine without the a/c. I don't know what we'll do about the roosters though.

vivi Feb 27th, 2003 12:58 PM

I live on Kauai. Koloa/Poipu areas can be HOT, though you may still be OK in late May. <BR><BR>I always chuckle when people say you don't need a/c on Kauai. We have a/c upstairs and run it about 4 months out of the year- June-Sept.

DB Feb 27th, 2003 02:37 PM

<BR>It sounds like you don't have choice, so why ask the question? Would rather have it, than not.<BR><BR>The chicken is an unprotected species, no one on Kauai should ever go hungry.<BR>

Kal Feb 27th, 2003 02:51 PM

Aloohaaa,<BR>This past trip, Dec'02/Jan '03, was probably the quietest we've experienced since Iniki turned them all loose!<BR><BR>They are good for keeping the buigs away.<BR>Kal