Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is a last-minute Columbus Day wkend Vermont escape possible? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-a-last-minute-columbus-day-wkend-vermont-escape-possible-807074/)

hikrchick Sep 21st, 2009 07:27 AM

Is a last-minute Columbus Day wkend Vermont escape possible?

So my fiance and I were in the Hoboken (NJ) PATH station yesterday and walked by some advertisements for Vermont. It looked really gorgeous -- well it's ads, so of course it would, but we got hooked. We just got back from 10 days in Alaska last month, but we looked at each other and said, "we should go to Vermont."

I know really nothing about Vermont, except it's the home of Ben & Jerry's and Cabot cheese and gorgeous scenery. We were thinking Columbus Day weekend to take a road trip up from NJ and do some hiking -- somewhere.

I'll do my own research, and read some trip reports and threads etc., but can anyone start me in the right direction? I don't even know yet which part of the state I should focus my search. I guess what we want is basically to do some hiking, take some nice photos, drink some coffee, and drive away from Jersey City for a few days. What would be great is to find a scenic woodsy Vermonty place where we could set up our tripod and camera and do some engagement photos for the parents.

We'd love to drive up early Saturday morning and come back early Monday morning. Is it possible at this late date to find a place to stay for the long weekend? Not looking for anything really fancy or expensive. Do you think it's possible to do a weekend under $500?

I remember reading once that the ski resorts are open in the fall also and that they are good deals -- does anyone know if that's true?

(i promise to write my Alaska trip report ASAP... that was really an outstanding road trip)

thanks for helping me get off on the right Vermonty foot....

MareW Sep 21st, 2009 08:02 AM

It's getting very late to book for Columbus Day weekend. I'm going the weekend before that, and even then, many places have been booked for a while. No harm in trying, though.

On the years I've gone to N.H. during foliage season at the last minute, I do okay by picking a Mom and Pop place that's a bit off the beaten path. The same is probably true for Vermont, but I would act fast if I were you. Your budget is probably workable if you aren't planning any expensive meals. Motel prices vary a lot. Most B&B's and inns are probably booked by now, and most of those would be probably too expensive if your budget includes food anyway.

dfrostnh Sep 21st, 2009 08:23 AM

If you're not fussy, you should be able to find someplace. Color seems to be coming on earlier than usual and I've always thought peak for the central NH/VT area to be around Columbus Day but Columbus Day is late this year so I would check some foliage maps and aim for central VT with NH's Lakes region as second choice. Lakes region would give you easy access to the mountains and more hiking but if color is coming earlier then even the Concord or Portsmouth NH area would be good. A friend's daughter was married in July at Mt Snow in VT which put in nicer landscaping etc this year for outdoor weddings. You might find ski lodging rentals there. Actually, you shouldn't have any problem finding a scenic spot for engagement photos.
You can check out some drives, lodging and events on Yankee Magazine's website and look for Jeff Folger on the foliage forum. He's a professional photographer so some of his shots might give you an idea of where you'd like to go.

TexasT Sep 24th, 2009 01:56 PM

It took me two straight days of calling to find someplace to put us up for Oct. 9 and 10. I would suggest perhaps calling the Chamber of Commerce or Visitor Center of the region/city you want to visit. You might wind up having to stay in a chain hotel. Even cabins are pretty booked up at this point.

I concur with the early foliage report. Several innkeepers in southern VT. commented on it when I spoke with them. Good luck.

Cattail Sep 25th, 2009 04:01 AM

Try the Waybury Inn in Ripton, Vt, The Bob Newhart Show was filmed there. Beautiful drives on country roads,very woodsy - near lakes, hiking, easy access to the town of Middlebury and small city of Burlington. Ask about the snow geese.

gail Sep 25th, 2009 04:20 AM

I just went on Travelocity and searched for hotels in Burlington and Montpelier, VT. In both places there are hotels available for that weekend for around $150/night - probably could find lodging with more character and/or less expensive if you spent more than the 3 minutes I did looking.

zootsi Sep 25th, 2009 05:38 AM

Yes it will be busy that weekend, but you should be able to find something. Try the Connecticut River Valley area of either Vermont or New Hampshire. This area (I live here) is a little less touristed, and quite rural and scenic. A few suggestions: - Loch Lyme Lodge - Lyme NH; Inn at Weathersfield - Weathersfield Vt; Chase House B&B - Cornish, NH; Ascutney Mountain Resort - Ascutney Vt.; Harvey's Mountain View - Rocester Vt.
I grew up in Jersey City - haven't been there in 40 years.

colbeck Sep 25th, 2009 09:06 AM

The foliage is already at peak in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, so try for mid to southern VT for Columbus Day weekend. There may be some small B&B's, or motels, still available. Cattail mentioned the Waybury Inn, which is actually in East Middlebury. I am sure they are already booked,as it is a big weekend for Middlebury College, but check out www.midvermont.com (Addison County Chamber of Commerce) for other lodging ideas in the area - but you need to get right on it! Good luck!

RetiredVermonter Sep 26th, 2009 03:24 AM

You might also try the Inn At Baldwin Creek, Bristol, VT. I suspect they're booked, but they're a lovely B&B!

SeymourLake Oct 2nd, 2009 09:16 AM

It is going to be peak here next week. There are rooms available in our area as not all B & B's have web sites. Island Pond, Vt.; Morgan, Vt., Derby, Vt. Newport , Vt. all have rooms.

divineMissM Oct 2nd, 2009 10:21 AM

Plenty of availability, though some places might require a Friday check-in. Seeing the fall colors requires some driving anyway, so who cares if you have to stay 10 or 15 miles away from the beauty and drive a bit? Check with hobknobinn.com and smuggs.com or check out The Bridges Resort if you play tennis.

sf7307 Oct 2nd, 2009 10:33 AM

Is the fact that there is availability at this late date unusual (recession-based, perhaps)?