Is a 4WD needed on Kauai?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Wendy

Is a 4WD needed on Kauai?

Will a car get around the whole island of Kauai or would it be good to rent a 4WD? Thanks.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:56 PM
lisa

You can't drive all the way around Kauai as the gorgious Na'a Pali Coast (forgive my spelling!), to the northwest, is impassable. We rented a car and had no trouble going everywhere we wanted. The roads are all paved to the typical places people go. I don't know if there are some out of the way hiking places where you would need a 4WD to access.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Keli

Been there done that...never needed a 4 WD. Enjoy! Keli

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:36 AM
karen

We've been going to Kauai for the past 14 years and have never needed a 4WD. A car will suffice for your travels around the island. Enjoy!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Sarah

Hi Wendy I am dealing with the same issue. Here is what I am considering. I wonder how much hiking those who did not miss a 4WD are doing? Some of the most interesting hiking on the island, Alakai Swamp and other points in Kokee State Park are made easier by 4WD. It can cut off 3-4 miles from your treck (one way 6-7 round trip).
Pohali (?sp) State Park is another beach park that comes to mind. There is a few miles of unpaved roads here, but others have expressed that they did just fine with regular rentals so that is probably not so bad. Correct me if I am wrong I have not done this trip in years. I know that getting to the Alakai Swamp you definitely need 4W to cut off miles and even then you need to be a confident driver. But those who skip because of this are really missing some interesting scenery. Taking the trails that require SUV part way also take you away from the crowds. The canyon views along give you the feeling that you are out west and noone is around. I love echoing sounds with the kids when I am in this isolation, noticing seabirds in the distance souring through the canyon. THIS IS A STARKLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE from the crowded public railed lookout point most tourist see the canyon from.

What you should ask yourself is how many of the trails that I want to do will need a 4WD. If it is not many, you are ok and renting a 4wD is a waste of money. Rental car companies do not cover you for damages that occur on unpaved roads. We have found that common sense and good driving skills usually do.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
John R.

As far as I could see last October all the accessable roads in the Kokee State Park were fine for 2WD. Most of the trail heads come off the main road so I doubt that 4WD is necessary.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:58 AM
e

Another thing to consider is that a Wrangler top is a pain in the ass to take on and off----and because of the weather on Kauai you'll be doing that quite alot.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Sarah

John you are wrong about that I was advised by the Kokee State Park via mail that I would need a 4WD to get to Pihea Trail (sp) and Alakai Swamp boardwalk. They also told us when we stopped off at the visitor center. What trails did you do?

We had a hard roof Suv not a jeep

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Sarah

Think I will call Kokee this afternoon.

Here is there website.

http://www.aloha.net/~kokee/hiking.html

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:09 AM
sss

so the answer I got when Calling Kokee was mixed. They said there are some beautiful lookout points perched on like Polihale Point that you need a 4WD for. Pihea trail to Alakai you need 4WD but other end of Alakai you do not. There are plenty of trails accessible by regular car and plenty of 4WD paths that are beautiful. She said there is a 4WD that follows a similar path of the main road up to Kokee that is another great drive.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
John R.

We did the Awaawapuhi (sp?) trail which had a trail head right off the main road. Fairly difficult hike because the return leg is all uphill but the views of the ocean and incredibly steep valleys at the turn around point are unbelievable.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Wendy

Thank you for your help. We decided on renting a jeep. However, we called and every rental car company were sold out of jeeps. So, it is destiny we have a car.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:56 AM
x

If you can't get a jeep get a convertible.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
xxx

Others have SUV's Wendy but they are a third higher than we paid last summer (Booking in March for August). You will be fine with a regular car. I would just get a full size as the tracking of dirt can yuk up a car pretty quick.

Also if you have price club or Autoclub memebership you always get a break in costs