Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Is 1 day enough at Grand Canyon? If so, where should I go for my next free day? Zion maybe?

Is 1 day enough at Grand Canyon? If so, where should I go for my next free day? Zion maybe?

Sep 18th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Is 1 day enough at Grand Canyon? If so, where should I go for my next free day? Zion maybe?

I've got about 2 free days on my October trip to Vegas with my husband and mother and father-in-law. We're staying one night at the Grand Canyon. Is one day enough to see it? We won't do much hiking (father-n-law has bad knees) and the mule trips are already booked so it looks like we'll just be sightseeing....unless you can suggest any other interesting adventure. If one day is enough, do you have any suggestions for my 2nd free day? I'm considering Zion but I'm afraid one day won't be enough there. If we go to Zion we would get there around 6pm on a Monday night and leave around 2pm the next day.
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:09 AM

If you only have one day then IMO one day is enough. Better one day than zero days.

The average time spent at the Grand Canyon is 45 minutes according to the National Park Service. Certainly not long enough in my book but even 45 minutes is better than zero minutes.

Same thing applies to Zion. Definitely worth one day as compared to zero days. You'll be amazed at what you can see and you will then plan another trip back. Have fun.
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Could you give us a quick idea of your full itinerary? Are you talking about the North Rim or the South Rim (squeezing Zion onto a South Rim trip could be a challenge). Just want to be able to help without giving bad advice!
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM

If you are traveling after Oct. 15th then the N. Rim is closed.

I also think that it doesn't matter which rim you go to if you are doing both the Grand Canyon and Zion.. The mileage is farther to the S. Rim but the driving to the N. Rim is a lot slower! It almost makes it a toss up when it comes to time.

If you are headed to the S. Rim and only have such a short time and don't want to do much walking because of FIL's bad knee, then I say go for Zion. You won't have to double back on the 250 miles and the route as you exit the Grand Canyon to Cameron is very scenic. The drive to Page, AZ and Lake Powell is beautiful. Just driving though Zion makes it all worth it. It's better if you can squeeze in a couple of hours to ride the free shuttle buses into the canyon.

Utahtea

Search this Thread