Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Invite For Tandoori Girl (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/invite-for-tandoori-girl-519946/)

amwosu Apr 9th, 2005 06:49 PM

Invite For Tandoori Girl

DH and I will be at Indian Rocks Beach April 28-May 1. Want to get together for lunch or dinner with us on Fri. or Sat.?

Tandoori_Girl Apr 9th, 2005 07:02 PM

amwosu, what a nice invitation. that is hubbies big 5-0 weekend. it would be very difficult as I'm throwing a big party Sat. I will not be able to do a thing :-< You will have to imbibe and dine heavily in my behalf, as I will do in yours ((d))

Tandoori_Girl Apr 9th, 2005 07:04 PM

You're just sunning for a weekend?

amwosu Apr 9th, 2005 07:13 PM

Bummer. Yep. Just a weekend. I am a teacher with Fridays off in April (built in snow days in case we need to cancel in Jan. or Feb. We didn't).

We were on Anna Maria Island for spring break with the kids and now have an adult weekend planned for the last weekend in April.

So where do you suggest we dine near St. Pete, Indian Rocks, Clearwater?

Tandoori_Girl Apr 9th, 2005 07:34 PM

I just touch the surface over there as seldom as I cross the bridge. I'm sure others have better suggestions. I love the Island Way Grill for either lunch or dinner. Upscaleish. Heilman's Beachcomber in Clearwater beach is fun, like stepping into the past. Some good casual in downtown SP: Tangelo's, Chattaway, Coney Island Hot Dog. Cafe Alma is about the best there is downtown. On the beaches, I like Dockside Dave's in Madiera Beach. The VIP Lounge and the Floridian Cafe on TI. Great breakfast at the Croisette in SPB. Guppy's in IRB. And a few places in Passe-A-Grille. Will you be that far south?

Wayne Apr 9th, 2005 09:58 PM

amwosu, I don't know if it's considered courteous to help answer a question you directed at someone else, but as a resident of the area I'd like to give you a couple of other recommendations for places to eat.

From the south border of IRB is a bridge over the intracoastal waterway. Take that road east, find West Bay Drive on your map, and then go east on West Bay to Indian Rocks Road. Turn north on Indian Rocks Road, then immediately turn left into a strip mall where you will find the E&E Stakeout Grill at the south end of the strip of stores. This is without a question one of the two or three best restaurants in the entire area. It consistently rates the highest praises from the St Petersburg Times food critic. And from many meals I've personally enjoyed there, I can tell you I've never eaten better food. Once you are in the IRB area you can call for a reservation; you'll need one.

Another couple of excellent choices not far from each other on Gulf Blvd in Redington Beach are the Wine Cellar and the Lobster Pot. Both are among the best. I hate to say it, but I would not recommend many of Tandoori Girl's suggestions except for Guppy's, which is usually very good also.

Dockside Dave's is OK if what you want is a somewhat grungy eating environment with good seafood. It's not one of the best places IMO to enjoy a meal, but it might give you an idea of what an old Florida cracker type eating joint is like.

In downtown St Petersburg, Cafe Alma is good but not nearly as good as Pacific Wave or Cafe France. Mattison's in downtown is also very good. All of the restaurants I've named except Dockside Dave's are considered some of the best in the area by many more people than myself. Others might have their own opinions, but if you want to eat where the majority believe the best food is served, you might try some of my suggestions. Good luck, and my apologies to Tandoori Girl for jumping in where I wasn't asked.

amwosu Apr 10th, 2005 02:04 AM

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate the starting point from people who have been there.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 10th, 2005 05:58 AM

Tnx. Wayne. I don't eat at the best places when I head to the beach so I appreciate your input. I love the Lobster Pot, and had started another post of "adult" places after re-reading your post, amwosu. It was at the top of my list, along with the restaurant at the Don CeSar. Both are wonderful and very special. I've heard mixed reviews on the Wine Cellar. Don't know the E&E but anything SPTimes Chris Sherman rates highly is a good bet.

Dockside Dave's used to be much better. It was lauded in Southern Living magazine and all of a sudden you couldn't get in. It's a chowhound.com sort of place, lots of local atmosphere. Frankly, the food has gone downhill but you can't beat it for authentic blackened grouper. They get that grill smoking! Not just a medly of spices, REAL blackened like Emeril does it.

Two other suggestions (also Chris Sherman's) are Cafe Pont in Largo. Really nice presentation. And there is a sushi spot on Clearwater Beach that is also one of Chris' raves. I'll yell if I remember the name, it is wonderful. The Beachcomber is an unusual place and will make you smile. Go for dessert, it's worth a giggle. Sometime food can get tooooo serious.

Get back closer to blast-off and I might have some romantic recommendations for some mood music. Unfortunately, most of the best music spots are across the bay in Tampa.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 10th, 2005 06:21 AM

And you can't beat Le Croisette for breakfast. The VIP Lounge has good veggie Mexican, less than authentic but a funky place to have a margerita. Tangelo's, the Chattaway (old Florida outdoor hamburger spot) and Coney Island Hot Dogs are just plain fun. In case you like to have fun=;

And happy "adults only" weekend ;;)

amwosu Apr 10th, 2005 08:35 AM

Glad you're celebrating a special day but sorry we can't "do lunch". I was gonna show you my new tattoo.

cherie1 Apr 11th, 2005 07:55 AM

We spent a week in the area last month, and really enjoyed Island Way Grill. Great food and atmosphere, and also serves sushi. We equally enjoyed Salt Rocks Grill, it's sister restaurant, which is right in the Indian Rocks area (no sushi though). Heilman's was good enough, and they also have a more low key wine bar and restaurant attached with garden seating. A local talked us out of going to the Lobster Pot, and I still regret that we listened.

amwosu Apr 11th, 2005 10:39 AM

Thanks cherie1!